Installing 2nd HD on XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zeo

EDIT: Sorry for double posting... its jus that in the other forum my topic only got 2 views, and both were me... plz feel free to close the other.

Hi, quick help plz, currently installing 2nd HD on my xp system @ the moment.

I set the pins on the first hd to master, and on the second
(new hd) I removed the clip so it sets to slave.

Rebooted and went to bios, first hd is found, 2nd hd seems to also be found, but there isnt a name there, only the serial code for it... eg

first hd is 'Maxtor f230403 (something like that)
second hd is 'ST340230' etc

Loaded up windows xp and it said new hardware detected.

Now the bit that I'm stuck on is what to do next...

I was told that I needed to fdisk the new hd then format...

but how do I do this on XP? I also cant seem to find a drive letter for the new hd.

A: is disk drive, C: is my master drive, D: is first CD drive, E: is second CD drive.

But cant find drive letter for new drive, so I dont know how to fdisk it.

WHat do I do next, and how do I fdisk and format it in XP anyway?

plz help, currently got comp case open installing right now..

You would have to boot from floppy run fdisk, change to drive 2 on first menu screen (option 4 or 5). Then create partition when complete reboot and let windows start.
From here you can see drive letter in 'My Computer', right click on Drive and format.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online