installing 7 or xp onto toshiba laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fevola25

Hi, I have recently replaced the hard drive in my toshiba satellite A200 (PSAF6A-02C01N) that was running Vista,
I have put a seagate momentus 5400.5 SATA hard drive in.
I dont have the recovery disc's but I dont want to put Vista back on it anyway, I have XP and windows 7, and would like either of these OS running on it, but when I try to install either of these two OS, it tells me it cant find a hard drive, ok, I have searched and come up with this helpful thread,

http://forums.techguy.org/earlier-ve...tion-help.html

It says "you will need to find out the make and model of the harddrive and find sata drivers for it - often on the manufacturers website and then slipstream the windows CD with the Sata Drivers"

Ok, so I have spent many many hours searching hundreds of web sites, including seagate and toshiba's and there just doesnt seem to be a driver for this hard drive.

Can anyone sugest what else I may be able to do to get an OS onto this computer, its starting to get frustrating, and I dont really want to take it into a shop and pay big dollars to have, what should be a simple process, done to it..

hi, IF you have the original vista disk, try reinstalling that on new hd after finding sata drivers for it and do an upgrade to W7.

also reset cmos if that doesn't work.

Does BIOS recognize that drive?

I just installed 7 on a Satellite and had no problems at all. XP is another story due to its age and lack of support for SATA. But the 7 setup should install the driver easily. You should check for any other problems, too, including that the drive is not connected properly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online