1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing 98 On Xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ELGATILLO, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ELGATILLO

ELGATILLO Thread Starter

Hello all by advice of some one I tried to install windows 98 into a pc that had xp so we can run a program on it that doesn't work with xp and I was not told to partion the drive I enter to install 98 maybe by inserting the disc in and starting the pc because by just clicking ion the icon it will not install when going by the instrutons it ask me to delete some files I choose no then it proceded and ask me to reformat the drive I said no again then it said no memory to run and ask me if I wanted to quit the set up and I enter yes exit and then the screen stayed black with a cursor blinking I was only trying to help a friend and now her pc is mess up any sugestion she wants to take it to s tore and have them deal with it but I am concern they will delete everytinhg for her also when I start the pc it starts with 98 pcs scan and all that we tried the recovery disc and nothing is a compaq presario 5000 ansy sugestion ?

2. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

At this point, I suggest you take it back to the store. Explain to them carefully what happened and ask them to make a copy of your hard drive and then try to get XP back.

It's sounds to me that if you try anything further, you might lose all that is there.

Should you attempt this again, I suggest you post here and ask for advice before trying this on your own.

3. ELGATILLO

ELGATILLO Thread Starter

I have been help in the past by this site I have notify my firends of this site cause I beleive there is a lot of people here with skills I will try to take it to the store thanks for your repply

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

If you have a windows xp disk (not a restore disk) you can boot from it, hit enter to install, press F8 to agree to the license agreement, then choose (R) for repair.

that should get you back to XP to back up whatever you need.

then, once your data is backed up you can set up your dual boot system properly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!