1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing a brand new hard drive, what's next?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pgentry, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pgentry

pgentry Thread Starter

All this techie stuff is Latin to me. So bear with me. I took Spanish in high school.

1. I have a Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505. I bought it used 4 years ago.
    2. I am installing a brand new hard drive, fresh out of the box.
    3. The drive that died on me was a Seagate Momentus 7200.1, 100GB, 7200 RPM, Firmware 8.04
    4. I went online to best buy and micro center, but am in the dark regarding the driver interface. Since the laptop is pretty much dead in the water, how can I determine the it? I'll need to know that before I walk up to the kid in the store, right?
    5. As soon as you tell me what I need to buy, I'll install it and then have some questions about installing Windows XP.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

2. nikomaster

nikomaster

Hey Patrick,

Yes you check what the problem is in your lap before buying the HDD. So,
    Does the laptop turns on without the hard disk? If so a message should appear there is no boot device.
    If the lap works fine without the hard disk well you should buy the new one.
    If the lap is pretty much dead well it is probably dead from every circuit on it.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 Service Manual

Note: The manual is in PDF format, so you need to have Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader or some other PDF reader installed so you can open and view it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!