Installing a brand new hard drive, what's next?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pgentry

All this techie stuff is Latin to me. So bear with me. I took Spanish in high school.

1. I have a Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505. I bought it used 4 years ago.
2. I am installing a brand new hard drive, fresh out of the box.
3. The drive that died on me was a Seagate Momentus 7200.1, 100GB, 7200 RPM, Firmware 8.04
4. I went online to best buy and micro center, but am in the dark regarding the driver interface. Since the laptop is pretty much dead in the water, how can I determine the it? I'll need to know that before I walk up to the kid in the store, right?
5. As soon as you tell me what I need to buy, I'll install it and then have some questions about installing Windows XP.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Hey Patrick,

Yes you check what the problem is in your lap before buying the HDD. So,
Does the laptop turns on without the hard disk? If so a message should appear there is no boot device.
If the lap works fine without the hard disk well you should buy the new one.
If the lap is pretty much dead well it is probably dead from every circuit on it.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 Service Manual

Note: The manual is in PDF format, so you need to have Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader or some other PDF reader installed so you can open and view it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online