1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing a Chromecast dongle using a wifi extender

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cullism, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this question belongs on this forum but I'll post it anyway.
    I recently bought a wifi extender and a generic Chromecast so that my wife could access Netflix on her unsmart TV. I have determined that the extender is working by establishing a wifi connection on my smart TV. I plugged the Chromecast dongle into the HDMI port on my wife's TV, but when I change the source on the TV to HDMI I get a No Signal message. I have followed the instructions that came with the dongle which simply required me to plug the dongle into the TV. I have pressed the WPS button on both the router and the extender. Am I missing a step somewhere?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you also powering the Chromecast device through its USB port?

3. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

No, the only thing I have done with the Chromecast is to plug it into the HDMI port on the TV.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I've not used one, but it (Chromecast) doesn't auto connect to wifi. It gets connected to the TV, then you configure the device via a webpage after which you can cast from your phone. ie: login to service on your phone and then send it to the TV.

Sounds like what you really want is Roku or other similar device which actually runs the apps needed to access services like Netflix.

I could be wrong about what you are really wanting. In any case, the device has to be configured for use.

5. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

Thanks, that makes sense. I will try agin in the morning.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The Chromecast device should have come with a USB cord and an AC adapter power supply. The small end of the USB cord plugs into the device and the large USB plug plugs into the AC power adapter or a USB port on the TV. The cord is for power only.

7. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I thought about the problem before I got up this morning and came to much the same conclusion. The dongle came with another cable which I had forgotten. My next problem was that the TV only had the one HDMI port and the power cord of the dongel plugs into an HDMI port. I will re examine the TV but my latest idea is to plug an HDMI adapter into the TV's HDMI port so that I can connect both the Chromecast and the power cord to the same port on the TV. I will let you know how I go.

8. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

It worked! The problem now is that the set up menu has appeared on the TV screen but so also has the message "waiting to connect", which has been there for at least 20 minutes. Could it be that the signal from the wifi extender is not strong enough?

9. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I decided to try and setup the Chromecast on my main TV which is located only a few metres from the wifi extender. The same thing happens. I get the message "Waiting to connect" which simply sits there. This suggests to me that the problem is not to do with the wifi signal being too weak. I will keep at it and any suggestions would be appreciated.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  11. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I have a generic Chromecast which I bought on eBay for $20. At the time I naively thought it was a real Chromecast being sold at a very cheap price but when I opened the parcel I quickly realised I hadn't bought the real thing. I would have assumed that the installation process was much the same. I notice on the page you sent me that one can no longer setup the device via computer which might mean that I couldn't use a legitimate Chromecast anyway. I am considering cutting my losses and trying to get my money back. I have messaged the supplier to see if they have any advice.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!