1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing a dial up modem problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tspaeth10, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tspaeth10

tspaeth10 Thread Starter

I am by no means a computer guru and my daughter moved to college and only has dial up internet available. Her computer does not have this. So, I bought a modem from Best Buy and installed it in an empty port but it does not seem to be working. Is there a particular port I should have installed it in? The installation went good but it does not dial.

2. winbob

winbob

Welcome to this Forum!

The first place to check is Device Manager to make sure that the modem is properly recognized by Windows, and its Drivers are loaded.

You can also check through Control Panel, 'Phones and Modems'. Through those windows you can 'Query the Modem'. This will tell you if it is installed properly.

If there is a problem come back with the error msgs, and/or symptoms.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice