1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing a firewall the basics?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by spiers, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

Hi,
    For a uni project i need to talk about the ease of use of IT security.
    I thought talking about firewalls and AV would be easy, but i cant find a basic AV or Firewall installation guide, they are all brand name, like from Norton or Sygate.
    I need basic info which makes it sound like installing these are easy.
    Tips such as updating regualry, scheduled scanning and all that.
    Just need some actual text i can refer to.

Out of intrest ive used Norton Internet Security for years now, buts its out of date.
    I need a good FW and AV.
    I dont really like Zone Alarm with all its pop-ups for the first few times its on.
    I dont have SP2 btw if that reduces my choice.
    Need a new AV, was using the AVG thing which used to be called Ewido, but i think thats more an Adware/Spyware remover than an actual Anti-virus, and once the trial period is over you cant use the auto-protect function.
    I must be able to block pop-ups, im using Firefox as a browser so that might be enough?
    Norton Internet Security comes with a pop-up blocker.
    Thanks

2. tjamnz

tjamnz

Security Best Practices

1. Good security begins with a strong password policy, for your pc administrator account and for your applications as well. (UPPER/lowercaseletters/ a few numbers/ and a symbol and at least 8 characters in length).

2. Update, Update, Update your antivirus/anti spyware definitions, and operating system updates on a regular basis (weekly or less for sure).

3. Purchase an "internet router/gateway" to access the internet wirelessly or with ethernet (wired). and dont just plug your cable modem directly into your pc (unless it has NAT - Network Address Translation) This will mask (hide) your real ip, and dynamically you will be assigned a class c address in the 192.168.. range) which is good. This can enhance your security as well.

4. And for ultimate security, consumers can sign up with a VPN "Virtual Private Network" proxy service.
    take a few minutes and check this one out HERE There are many companies that offer this service for a small monthly fee, and its easy to set up and log in.

Also, You might not like installing Zone Alarm.. but ZA's website/software has a sweet tutorial that you could use, and they also explain step by step how it works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice