1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing a Fresh Coppy Of Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by BuffaloBeagle, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BuffaloBeagle

BuffaloBeagle Thread Starter

I am going to buy Vista Ultimate Upgrade today, but before i do i want to make sure that i can do a fresh install. Basically every time i install a new OS i like to format everything and start over fresh. I have already backed up all my stuff, so i can format. Basically i want to know if with the Vista Ultimate Upgrade, can i boot from that Disc and during the install when i pick where to install it to can i format the drives then install it on a new partition. I hope this isnt too confusing to follow but i dont want to carry over all the crap that i have on XP right now into Vista. If anyone can clear this format before install thing for me that would be great.

My system is a AMD 3000+ 64 bit 2.0 Ghz
    1 Gig of ram (i'm buying a second gig of ram today)
    WD 10,000 RPM 74 GB hard drive with a 7200 RPM 80 Gig harddrive for extra storage

2. BuffaloBeagle

Can someone please just clear this up for me so i know what i should buy today, thanks

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

What kind of install you do is dependent on your product key. This includes whether you have an upgrade or a full copy of the program.

Boot with the upgrade disk and install without entering the product key. Then install it again (putting in your key). You will basically be upgrading your previous install.

Provided you actually do have a licensed copy of XP or previous OS, you are legal doing this.

Courtney sends...

4. BuffaloBeagle

Yes i am running XP right now but i just want to start over fresh in Vista but i am also worried about my HD driver its a SATA HD and the driver was a pain to install will i have to go through all that again?

5. Tha*Lunat!k

Tha*Lunat!k

Unfortunately Vista requires a prior installation of XP or Vista in order to utilize the upgrade editions. It makes installing a fresh copy a pain in the ***, but it is still possible. The older OSs were much easier, just pointed it to the folder on your prior OS install disc and it recognized and then proceeded with its own install.

As for the SATA HD, unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience in booting from or installing to SATA drives yet. I didn't have any luck on my prior motherboard a month ago; I have since purchased new hardware but didn't bother trying to install or boot from the SATA this time around.

6. BuffaloBeagle

ok so whats the best way to go about installing Vista on my comp which is running XP right now so its as close to reformatting as possible, basically getting rid of the crap on my computer that i never use anymore to clean up all the space without leaving any files behind

7. Tha*Lunat!k

Tha*Lunat!k

Well, if you have two hard drives then it's really easy, or if you can use PartitionMagic or a similar program to create a new partition that will work as well. Basically the "upgrade" installation must be initialized from within an existing XP or Vista installation, so you can do a "fresh" install onto a clean hard drive (or any hard drive actually) or partition and it'll be just the same as a brand new installation, it simply requires that you launch the install from an existing OS install. I put Vista onto my second hard drive and was able to dual boot between the two.

Alternatively, you could use the method posted on the Internet whereby you do NOT enter a CD key upon installing Vista, then it prompts you to choose what version to install. Select the version you purchased (I can't recall if you must select Full or Upgrade when doing this part, or if it even matters). Once it installs you will be in Vista with 30 days to activate. Now you can run the setup again and enter your CD key and it'll see that you're "upgrading" your OS and will install the one you purchased.

8. BuffaloBeagle

so i can use the XP which is on my Raptor drive to install vista onto my Second HD without the product key, then i can format my raptor and then reinstall vista from within vista back to my Raptor drive with the product key then i can format my other drive and Vista will have a fresh install on my Raptor?

9. Tha*Lunat!k

Tha*Lunat!k

I think that should work, yes.

10. iamkarlos

iamkarlos

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!