1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing a IDE HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by namiejr2002, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. namiejr2002

namiejr2002 Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavillion media center m8330f quad core PC. I have 640 gb of HD space (sata), and running 6 gb of ram. I am running Windows Vista premium home edition with SP1 installed.

There is a place on my motherboard to install an IDE HD and I have a 2 year old, never used 300GB Western Digital IDE I would like to utilize.

I connected the 300GB HD on the IDE port and it is being recognized as the Primary drive and not allowing the SATA drive to boot up. I had the jumpers set to CS on this drive. I looked in the bios start up menu to change the order of booting, but cannot change it.

How do I put this drive into the computer so it acts as a slave drive for additional storage?

2. BG-0

BG-0

Try finding another boot priority affecting setting in BIOS, there should be something that's set to IDE/PATA/whatever, and has to be changed to SATA. Really can't remember the actual name of it..

3. shinybeast

shinybeast

I get that SATA/PATA thing myself. Never not been able to change it in bios though. You should be able to do that. There are two places it will be. There will be a place to set the boot device type priority (CD/HDD/FDD) and there should be a setting for boot device priority where you can select which hard drive you want to boot.

4. BG-0

BG-0

Those places aren't always enough(talking out of experience, set my SATA drive as primary in both places, still the comp tried to boot from the IDE that was connected...)

5. namiejr2002

Would an IDE to SATA card help?

6. shinybeast

shinybeast

Yes it would, but that should be unnecessary. For clarification: when you said you tried to change it in the bios startup menu, did you enter the BIOS program itself (e.g. on my computer - Del) or did you just get a boot menu (e.g. my computer - ESC)?

7. namiejr2002

Actually just the boot menu.

8. shinybeast

shinybeast

You should try getting into the BIOS setup program and look for those settings. I'm pretty sure F1 is the key you need but not certain

9. BG-0

BG-0

It should say during POST: hit (some key) to enter BIOS or enter Setup.. Maybe not. Maybe you don't even see the POST by default.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice