1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing a new Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Davieboy, Aug 11, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Davieboy

Davieboy Thread Starter

Hi, I’m looking for help on getting my new Graphics Card up & running. I currently have an GeForce GTX 680 and I’m trying to replace it with a GeForce GTX 1060.

Problem is I’ve unplugged old graphics & plugged in new card & put the disc for the new card in the disc drive & booted up....I only get as far as motherboard logo on my screen the I get a “no signal” on my monitor.

How do I fix this?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

How was the 680 connected to the monitor and how is the 1060 connected

Also have you made the power connection
    The 680 if it is standard had 2 6 pin connectors for the power
    The 1060 depending on the model has one 6 pin

The 1060 has
    DP 1.43, HDMI 2.0b, Dual Link-DVI

The 680 has
    One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One HDMI, One DisplayPort

I suspect it may be the connection to the monitor if you have used a different one

Additionally you need to reinstall the old card and then go to Control Panel programs and features or Settings if it is windows 10 and UNINSTALL your existing Nvidia drivers as these of course are for the 680

You then shut down and after disconnecting of course all power etc you then replace the 680 with the 1060 and when you boot the system should then use a reference driver after which you can install the Nvidia driver

Do not use the CD take the driver from the Nvidia site
    https://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers

On driver search configure ONLY recommended certified. - NOT beta

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The GeForce GTX 680 and GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards both use the same driver package.
    The most current driver for them is version 431.60.

If you already have the most current version installed for the GeForce GTX 680, go into the NVIDIA folder and look for the "setup.exe" file, then double-click it to start the install process.
    After the system check successfully detects the GeForce GTX 1060, select the custom install option, then select the clean install option so all previous settings can be removed.
    If all goes well, the driver should reinstall for the new graphics card.

If you have a connection issue with the new graphics card and the motherboard or with the monitor, then that's a different matter.
    I'll leave you with Macboatmaster.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  4. Davieboy

Davieboy Thread Starter

I connect both using HDMI.

The 1060 was plugged in with the 6 pin connector.

So, another piece of possibly relevant info, just last week I had to put my desktop into a shop for repair. It turned out was something to do with corrupted Windows. I have 2 internal hard drives & the lad said he had to partition the hard drive. So my pc has been wiped & all my info on the other hard drive. When I go to my settings, there are no files for my Graphics Card to uninstall.

Yet I still can’t seem to get my graphics card to work.

5. Davieboy

Davieboy Thread Starter

I can’t get the computer to boot up when I replace to 680 with the 1060. How do I get the computer to detect the 1060?

6. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The 680
    3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz supported over HDMI

The 1060 supports 4K at 60Hz
    Check the settings on the monitor

Either try another connection if you have a DVI cable or put back the old card
    install the drivers for the 1060
    My colleague says they are the same driver

take out the old card after shutting down of course and the connect the new card
    reboot and try again

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Mac:
    He didn't say which Windows version is running in his computer, so I checked the driver files for Windows 7 and 8.1 and 10.
    Both graphics cards do use the same driver file for each Windows version.

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. Davieboy

Davieboy Thread Starter

Hi, thanks guys. Tried All suggestions & still not working. ‍♂️

I have Windows 10, sorry didn’t mention that earlier

So, since my computer has come back from the shop, it is running reaaaallllyyyy slow. The hard drive was partitioned & they backed up my hard drive onto my second hard drive. The hard drive I’m using now is completely empty but for Windows.
    When I’m trying to get the graphics drivers installed I’m having issues with Nvidea errors. When I try to launch the GeForce Experience app I get a 0x003 error.
    I managed to get eventually the GeForce Experience app installed but can’t get it to run.

All this has been done using my old 680 card, I tried plugging in 1060 card in the pci slot below while 680 card still plugged in to see if that would work but still nothing.

I’m losing the will here ‍♂️

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post your exact system specs ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, etc. The 10xx series cards [most of the time] need a uefi bios to function. If you have an older system, the card may or may not work.
    Next in regard to the driver package, yes it does use the same one however not all files may be loaded correctly. When you install the driver, it installs all of the files needed for that card. You install a new card and you may not have everything you need.

How to properly install a video card;
    1 Old card still installed, go to the support site for your card ie nvidia or amd. Download the latest driver. Do not use the driver on any support disk; it is almost always out of date
    2 Old card still installed, uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, any suite, any monitoring software, etc. Do not reboot when prompted; just tell it later
    3 Shutdown and pull out the old card. Install the new card and make any necessary connections
    4 Pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step #1 Reboot when prompted

Done.

10. Davieboy

Davieboy Thread Starter

Ok, system specs are:

ASRock X79 Extreme4 motherboard
    Intel Core i7 3820
    16GB Patriot Viper Ram (2x8GB sticks)
    Cooler Master GX Bronze 750W power supply
    Nvidea GeForce GTX 680 (currently)

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That board does have uefi bios however the board is now approx 6yr old. I checked the support page and there are no bios updates that address video card issues SO it should work.
    Can you enter the bios with the new card?

12. Davieboy

Davieboy Thread Starter

No, when I boot up with the new 1060 card i get as far as motherboard logo, it stays on that logo for a good 60 seconds then the logo disappears & shortly after I get no signal message on my monitor.

I also get 1 short beep when I try to boot up new card.

I’ve just put my old card back in & now can’t get pc to boot at all. Lol
    I’m now getting 5 short beeps with nothing showing on my monitor

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well, it is possible you broke something while installing and or removing cards. Here is what I would do;
    1 Pull the pw cord from the pw supply. Clear cmos with the clear jumper for a minimum of 10 seconds. Replace the jumper to the normal position.
    2 Install the card that was working ie the original one. Be sure the card is seated AND all connections are made to the card. Replace the pw cord
    3 Pw ON and see if you can enter the bios

If you still have problems with the known working video card, then you probably broke something while in the case.
    Note do not quote the previous post; simply post a reply.

By chance did you have the pw cord still connected to the system when you were removing and installing the card ie you just had the system OFF with the cord still connected?

14. Davieboy

Davieboy Thread Starter

Looking at my motherboard I can’t find a clear cmos pins, but I see 2 red buttons, 1 called JCMOS1 & the other is called Reset CMOS...do I use either of those or must there be pins?

Also yes I only had the power off, I didn’t realise I had to disconnect the power supply completely

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Read your motherboard manual as to the clear cmos procedure.
    Yes, you need to pull the pw cord. Modern motherboards have pw applied even though the system is OFF [that is how usb charging happens when system is OFF]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice