Installing a new hard drive to check the other one that went kaput.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JMT74

I am gonna ask probably a really stupid question. I believe my hard drive went kaput. So I am going to buy a new hard drive. After I install XP,drivers and programs onto it, I was wondering if I could take the hard drive I think went kaput and make it a slave to the new hard drive to check to see if there is anything on it to save? Mind you the hard drive is making grinding noises so should I even attempt to do this? LOL

ekim68

Mike
Yep. You could do it. If it's gonna die, it's gonna die, so get what you can.
Just install the OS on the new drive and slave the troubled one for data...
Then, save your data from the old unit, if it isn't totally wore out, to folders on
the primary drive and then discard it....(I mean, recycle.)

JMT74

Well I should have said that I can't even get to my desktop or anything on the other one. Says Primary hard disk drive 0 not found. Tried to troubleshoot with DELL. no luck. Do you think it is safe to try to make it a slave when it is making noises?

ekim68 said:
Yep. You could do it. If it's gonna die, it's gonna die, so get what you can.
Just install the OS on the new drive and slave the troubled one for data...
Then, save your data from the old unit, if it isn't totally wore out, to folders on
the primary drive and then discard it....(I mean, recycle.)

I would say it is toasted. When you first heard the noises and would have shut it down or backed it up right away would have been the best way. Now it sounds like it is to late.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online