1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing a new HardDrive (SATA)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daekle, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daekle

daekle Thread Starter

I'm at my wits end. So far i've spent the last 2 days trying to get the computer to recognise this harddrive.
    firstly the specs:
    Motherboard: Asus K8V-SE Deluxe AMD Skt754 (Athlon64) DDR400
    RAM: 512MB DDR400 PC3200 RAM (Elixir/Nanya brand) memory
    Processer: AMD CPU Athlon 64 3000+ 64 bit Skt 754
    Graphics Card: Radeon 9600 with 256mb memory
    Hard Drive: Hitache 320gb

The bios is Fast track 1.00.0.37 i think (sorry brain freeze after 2 days of tinkering)

I know the harddrive works, i tested it on my machine and it works 100% fine but we can't get the BIOS in his machine to register the hard drive is there. it only realises its there when we plug it into one of the RAID SATA ports, it says it doesn't exist if we plug it into the normal ports.

So far i have tried formatting the hard drive, tried to install sata drivers onto windows but ofcourse that didn't work as its a bios problem (it was kind of a last ditch attempt) and all manor of other things i can't even think of. I'm almost convinced its the bios at the moment. I would try to flash and install a new bios but i've never done that before and, quite frankly knowing that i could ruin my friends motherboard scares the pants off me (i'm a broke student i can't afford to replace it ;) )

Any help appreciated, Thanks alot.

2. Parkman

Parkman

In the BIOS under Onboard device configuration, there is "Onboard promise Controller", that should be enabled by default. When it is enabled there should be an option for "Operating mode". Is this set to "RAID"? Often it is set to this by default as well. If you change the operate mode to "Onboard IDE Operate mode" you should get your drives to work in those SATA ports.

3. daekle

daekle Thread Starter

Well i've tried that now and its still not recognising the hard drive.
    I'm just astounded at how much trouble this is being.

The full boot up process is this if its any help:

VIA Technologies, INC VIA VT8237 Serial ATA RAID BIOS setting utility v2.01

sca devices, please wait...
    press <tab> to key into user window!

Hardware initiate failed, Please Check Device!!!
    The Bios does not be isntalled. Press <g> to continue!

Sata 378 TX2(something) Bios Version 1.00.0.33

detecting...

Bios not installed!

At which point it takes me into either the Bios setup utility (if i pressed delete) or windows (booted from his IDE hard drive)
    It does the same thing without the IDE hard drive attached, except ofcourse doesn't boot windows.
    Thanks for trying though :)
    Any more ideas?
    i'm so stumped o.o

4. bernardus

bernardus

Is it possible that the size of the drive is to large? We had suchs problem and we needed a largedrive manager enabling the drive to format. Over 130GB you have to install this largedrive enabler or it won't work. It's a tiny Dos mode program to find by your supplyer.

5. vsyk

vsyk

hi,
    I have the same problem: apparently my m/b is not recognizing the sata drive. Did you solve this issue?

6. bernardus

bernardus

Yes I did. Any drive supplier will offer you a free large drive utility.
    Some versions of Windows XP have the large drive option already build in.
    The large drive manager will enable the formatting of the drive. I had a Diskette program.

However the BIOS must be capable too. I had to upgrade my BIOS with a flash utility.

7. eric_r

eric_r

Hey all,

For as much as I scour the internet looking for answers to obscure technical issues, I thought I would help a few people out and offer my solution.

I can confirm that with my Western Digital 200GB SATAII drive, the VT8327 controller, on the A8v Deluxe - that setting the jumper pin on 5/6 works. The reason for this particular drive is that by default, PM2 mode is enabled. Its mainly a server thing where the drives won't spin up and be detected by controllers that do not support this.

*******Put the jumper on 5/6 (varies depending on which brand/model HDD you have) and it will work just fine!********

What is peculiar about this is that the PROMISE controller (which is terrible, do not use it.) recognized it, but Vista had no drivers for this and I don't even own a floppy disk so I was not about to attempt to locate drivers for it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/557462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice