Installing a New OS On my Dad's Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cptkyle789

Okay. Need some help. I'm going to get Vista. My dad's OS basically fried and he is stuck at the Windows XP screen where it says its loading, but it just keeps restarting and rebooting. So I decided I would get him Windows Vista.

So basically, I need some help.

What do I need to do basically? Here's what I know:

At the Startup/Boot-up Screen, Enter the CD. Enter your serial, etc.

Then I think...

You enter the 2nd disc, it continues installing. This WIPES YOUR HARD DRIVE OF EVERYTHING? (Am I right?)

I have to go back through the internet and update my drivers/ sound cards/ video cards/ etc.

Okay Let me Sum this up.

Clearly I need help. I need to know what to do.
How can I back-up all my dad's data so he doesnt lose his music and photos?

What do I do to the drivers/ I heard you have to re-install them ( :confused: )

I'm visiting his house for the weekend and I wanna get that thing fixed.

Please write me back quickly. I need to know what to do. I'm expecting the worst here. I've never really installed a new OS before so I just need to know what I'll need to do when its finished

if u can do this. my god thank you

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
You may save some frustration if you first make sure that you have the Vista chipset and other drivers for this PC. And also that it is capable of running Vista.

Reinstalling XP is not an option?

If he has data not yet backed up you can copy it if you can boot into Safe Mode, or with a bootable CD (I would use something like Puppy Linux 4.0), or put the hard drive into another computer or external USB enclosure.

Cptkyle789

I know how to start up Windows XP In safe mode, by tapping the F8 Key

I can back up his files from there right?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
10 years old! He's lucky it runs XP. I'd give it about a 1% chance of being able to run Vista if drivers exist, and about 0% chance that Vista drivers exist.

Yes, try Safe Mode or whatever to save any data and then reinstall XP.

Does the CPU and memory resemble my Systemax (see Computer specs)? I ran XP on that for a few years and it took about 7 minutes to boot.

Cptkyle789

He doesnt have his old XP disc. Do i need to get it again? Or can I reinstall it from Safe Mode?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
If there were a Recovery Partition I think you could start the Recovery/install process from Safe Mode. But a 10 year old computer didn't come with XP. So, yes you will need an XP CD.

Cptkyle789

I'm SOOO sorry for such a delayed response. I think we got Hurricane Ike's little brother here in Kentucky. Over 180,000 people lost power (not including me) last weekend. Wednesday night my cable + internet went out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online