1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing a new SCSI at work (pic)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spencerk, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spencerk

Spencerk Thread Starter

Hello there guys. Basically I have only just started at my job and have been given the task to install a new SCSI drive on our HP Proliant ML370 Server. We are basically running out of space and would like to place the MS Exchange Server onto this new drive.

Now, this would be the first time I have tried such a task, and as I will be working on the main server (Windows 2000), so I do not want anything to go wrong. If it does, then I’ll be walking the unhappy street on unemployment.

Firstly, I think we only have one SCSI drive at present, and it is in some sort of rack (through my studies I have not come across such a rack – only how to connect to a daisy chain) that I’m not really sure about.

Here is an image of the rack;
    http://www.fpcuk.co.uk/Rack.jpg

Here is a link to the server;
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/HP_ProLiant_ML370_G3__5807004#productdetail

I think this rack is hot swappable, so I do not have to turn the server off - but a question arises; How do I set the SCSI ID on this bad boy, once purchased.

Surely it would be too easy just to slip it in on section 1 (existing HD is in 0), then go into MyComp and it’s sitting there smiling at me.

I have looked for installation guides, but have found none for my particular situation. So any tips would be welcome.

Regards

SpencerK

2. ich

ich

Looks like a hot-swap array bay.
    Indeed, it also looks like one drive. The other slots are probably just blanks, so you'll have to get (a) drive(s) with the enclosure or get the enclosure(s) and install the drive(s) before inserting into the server. They'll just slide in and there will be a lever or something to secure the drive in the bay.

It looks like there are several versions of the Proliant ML370 (listed Here) so you need to determine exactly which one you have.

If you go to the HP Parts Store, select Server and walk through the specific configuration, you should be given some part numbers for compatible drives with enclosures. Once you have PN's you can purchase drives from HP or do a web search and see if any of them are available.

Once you have the drive(s) you'll need to reboot the server and enter the SCSI Controller utility to add the drives to an array. Do some research on the specific SCSI Controller the server has and you should be able to figure out how to get the drive added in and configure the array - if you can't figure it out, maybe you should start "walking that unhappy street..." :D

Good luck, it looks like you've been thrown off into the deep end on your first project if you're not already familiar with this type of technology. Of course, that's how I've acquired every scrap of knowledge I have so it's a valid learning method. Just remember - BACKUPS, BACKUPS, BACKUPS!!! Make damn sure you have a solid backup before doing anything (preferably an image based backup like Acronis or Paragon, not file-level backups) and document any changes you make in the controller config so you can back out the changes if necessary.

3. Spencerk

Spencerk Thread Starter

Hey Ich, firstly I want to say thank you very much for that mini-tutorial. This was just the sort of information I need.

My main concern, well one of them, was the backing up of data. At present we do a tape back-up, the tape is located on the server (The Server is the G3 model), and I was thinking this would not be enough as I believe this only backs-up company data. Our Server is running Windows 2000, which to be honest is not great, but hey - that's another upgrade job for me in the future.

We only have 3Gb left on our server, so doing a system-state backup is not possible; so I will lookin to doing an image-based backup as you expressed.

Another question, forgive my lack of knowledge, but we pretty much need this server on 24/7 (Printing factory, and feeds have to be sent to the shop floor), but can a drive be fitted in (without powering down) and just used, without setting up an array. Or in this situation (again, I'm learning here) does one always have to enter the SCSI Controller setup utility and configure the new Drive. Am I right in saying, as we only have one drive, we do not have any present Array setup?

So could I just plug the damn thing in, go to myComp and see it sitting there smiling at me saying "Hey, feed me." lol

Soo many questions; but thanks for helping a new guy out. I can see I'm going to spend a fair bit of time on this; need to understand every possible foreseeable problem. I have all the manuals ready - 1000 pages! Eye's don't fail me now!

Regards
    Spencer K

PS: I will report back with my own mini-tutorial based on my machine spec, Controller Spec and a "how-to". Hopefully this will be correct, then I can actually peform that act of adding the drive; and keep my job! WooHoo.

4. Spencerk

Spencerk Thread Starter

Update:

The current Hard Drive is not set up a Array. I can tell this from the LED on the front of the Hard Drive. Furthermore we do not have a RAID Array card. For this particular model we would need a Smart Array Controller Card.

So, adding a new Hard Drive should be as simple as plugging it in. The system automatically sets the SCSI ID.

So I just need a Hard Drive that is compatible with the current SCSI adapter, which is COMPAQ 64-bit /66 MHz Dual-Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter; which is, based on my Server spec, a SCSI Wide-Ultra320 Drive?

Does this sound right? I have read all the available manuals, and it has mentioned nothing of configuring a Hard Drive if it's not going to be implemented into a RAID Array - which at some point I will do.

Thanks for any and all help.

EDIT:

Think I have found a HD, that is compatible.
    http://www.hardware.com/product.asp?id=286776-B22

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice