1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing A PCI-Express Slot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soapyrx, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soapyrx

soapyrx Thread Starter

I just bought a emachine (T5026) which contains only 2 PCI slots although there appears to be room for a PCI-E slot. Anyone hear or know to install one or if it can be done?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The computer should have a PCI-E slot, what do you want to use it for?

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

The only way to add such a slot is to get a new motherboard.

4. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Your computer has a PCI-Express X1 slot, it would be the small one by the PCI slots.

5. soapyrx

soapyrx Thread Starter

I want to install a new graphics card since the one supplied kinda sucks. Something better so i can play games like hal-life 2 and so on. I was looking to get a geforce 6600 but that requires PCI-E.
    hhm i could have sworn i saw only 2 PCI slots. I guess i'll have to look again. Even with the PCI-E x 1 slot that wouldn't work with most of the new PCI-E cards since they are all x 16 would they?

6. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

no it wouldnt work, I dont even know if they make graphics cards for PCI Express x1. You could spend 100 bucks on a new mobo that has the slot you want, or just go for a PCI graphics card, even one of those would be an improvement over the onboard video.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There seems to be some conflicting information on this. Some sites mention x1, others, x16, and yet others say it doesn't have PCI Express at all. Being an Emachine anything is possible.

8. soapyrx

soapyrx Thread Starter

man that sucks. oh well. Triple6 which sites are you looking at? I searched at bestbuy and even futureshop.ca and they just list 2 x PCI only. The emachines website doesn't even list at all what slots are available

9. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

Be this a lesson, don't buy Emachines junk.

I looked through different results searching from Google.

Also if you look up the Intel 915GV chipset it says it can support 4 PCI Express x1 slots.

11. soapyrx

soapyrx Thread Starter

well the computer was still a good deal but i guess that's why it was so cheap. You guys got any recommendations for the best PCI graphics card available?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A regular PCI video card won't be better then the Intel Media Accelerator. You should be able to allocate up to 224MB of RAM to the onboard video in the BIOS or in the driver settings.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice