1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing a pre installed vista on new comp?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by linkinworm, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. linkinworm

linkinworm Thread Starter

hi i got vista on my laptop preinstalled, and was wondering as i have made a back up disk, could that be used to install on a new comp, not in an illegal way, i intend to only use this on my new system, or is this OEM stuff gona stop me? i should be able to do this as i own the product key dont i?

2. lazybear

lazybear

To my knowledge, no. What you have is a backup to an already installed program. You would need a full install disk. You should have gotten one with your new comp.

3. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

How could you install the backup from one PC onto a different PC without being illegal? For OS (and many other programs), one license = installed on one PC only.

4. linkinworm

linkinworm Thread Starter

well when i had xp on my old laptop, i installed media center on it, and i never used it so i went to vista, and it sucked on that laptop, then i went to pro, then media center, then back to home, and when i went back to home i used the same key to install it, and it activated online, 2 times, so thats 2 times it been activated, thats why i thaught it would work, i dont want to have to spent £250 on vista because it sucks, but i dont want to spent £100 on xp because i will have to move to vista next year anyway(reasons)

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

If it was preinstalled it has to be an oem install, and that precludes you moving that install anywhere though I would doubt you would be able to install it from image file you have anyway.

6. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Of course it re-activated using the same key, it was on the same PC. They track which PC the OS is installed on, not which OS is installed on the PC.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!