Installing a previously installed program

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grandpaw7

I am wondering about the need to uninstall a program before reinstalling it.

My Works 6.0 recently got corrupted. So I bought a new Works 6.0 CD and installed it without first uninstalling the first installation (because I thought there might be less chance of losing what I had stored in the first program). That seems to have worked fine.

But, when my daughter's Canon printer program messed up and I went to reinstall it, the installation program said to be sure to first uninstall the first installation.

Now, I find that my MusicMatch program has gotten corrupted and I want to reinstall it. But I don't know if I should first uninstall the first installation. My reason for wanting to install over the prior one is the hope that by doing tis maybe I won't lose the songs I previously got from MusicMatch.

Any help out there? Thanks, grandpaw7

I generally uninstall and then reinstall. Just to try and keep things clean. If you have data or downloads you can save them to another directory, and once the reinstall is done paste them back into the new install

The problem with installing a program over a corrupt existing copy is that some of the corrupt files may not get overwritten... it is always better to uninstall and do a clean installation. Just move your music to another folder before uninstalling.

grandpaw7

Thanks, BrianF and Brushmaster1. I guess I should have realized that. grandpaw7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online