1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing a router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by harveybarcy, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harveybarcy

harveybarcy Thread Starter

Currently on ADSL. Adding a computer and networking both. Both on Windows98. Getting a Netgear 312 and will be picking up a crossover cable and Cat 5 wiring. Need advice on key steps and pitfalls for the physical hookup and configuring my network on the computers. Also, do's and don'ts on running the network.

Thanx

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Kind of confused with your discription, your subject is installing a router but then you refer to the Netgear 312 when I did a search with google for Netgear 312 all I found were references to an ethernet card. If you are actually planning on using a router you shouldn't need a crossover cable for anything, just straight through for all connections.

3. harveybarcy

Sorry Toddles. Its a Netgear 314 (RT, I trhink). Thanx for the quick response.

4. angel

angel

The DSL modem will plug into the Netgear's WAN port using a regular patch cable. Then your PCs will plug into the Netgear also using regular patch cables. No crossover needed as Toddles said.

The Netgear router will come assigned a default IP address which you can change if you want. You'll need to make sure to either setup your PCs with static IPs in the same range as the router, DNS/gateway info, etc or enable DHCP on the router.
    Then just input your DSL account information into the router and you're all set to go.

I have that same unit and it was all pretty simple. Special configurations (port forwarding, etc) seem to be a little more complicated that on a Linksys but most users need not be concerned with it.

Post back if you have any additional questions or if you run into probs.

5. harveybarcy

FOR ANGEL

Got my rt314 today and started the install. I need my user name and password to complete the hook-up --I think. i've tried every combo I have written down and nothing works. I'm with earthlink & mindspring and I'm not sure who I deal with. A s of now, I have a mindspring connect window that pops up but I have an earthlink user ID. Also, understand I connect via PPOe. Where should I go from here? Thanx.

6. angel

angel

Uninstall any software for your connection that you installed on your computer - you don't need it. The router will keep all of that for you.
    You need to logon to your router (web-based is easier though you can telnet also), and enter your account information there. If you are not sure what goes where (not all is required), you will need to contact your provider.
    First things first though, make sure the lights on your dsl modem are all lit and no flashing (except maybe the activity light). When I first hooked everything up I just couldn't connect. I was convinced I was entering something wrong in the account settings stored in the router but it turned out my provider goofed on my DSL account and it wasn't completely active. Your ready light should be solid showing it is connected to your ISP. If not, give them a call.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice