1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing a second hard drive on windows xp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickson2, Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nickson2

nickson2 Thread Starter

Anyone out there maybe help??? i need to install a second new hard drive on my pc which has windows xp O/S, the installation aint causing a problem, but when its all connected....wot do i do next? I know i might sound thick, but im only just learning...
    any help would be gratefully appreciated. Preferably direct me to a good website, or step by step instructions...
    Thanx

2. kain

kain

Is the new hardrive used for storage only?

Which operating system is on your old hardrive and do you need 2 different os's on the 1 pc?

3. nickson2

nickson2 Thread Starter

The hard drive is new and will be used only for storage, not for boot up... the operating system on the boot up hard drive is xp and i dont need two o/s

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

How Big is the drive?

Once you have the new drive physically installed, make sure the bios is recognizing the drive. You should see that on bootup. Then when you are in Windows XP:

start > run > diskmgmt.msc

or

Right Click My Computer > Click Manage > Under Storage you should see Disk management.

Once in there you should see the drive. Right click the drive and it should give you and option to Create a partition on it and then format it.

5. nickson2

nickson2 Thread Starter

Thankyou for helping, the new drive is 40GB the new drive isnt being recognized on boot up, do i need to enter the bios, and set it to auto detect? if so how? like i say, im new to this and still learning.

6. Squashman

Are you positive you have the jumper settings correct on each hard drive. Some hard drives have two Master settings. One for Master Single and one for Master with Slave. Also, Double check to make sure you have the second drive set to slave. This is assuming you have both drives on the same IDE cable.

I would double check the bios to make sure it is set for Auto. What kind of computer do you have and do you know what motherboard is in it.

7. nickson2

nickson2 Thread Starter

im not too sure about what pc or motherboard it is, its my sisters pc and i will pass on the info.... Thankyou very much for your time and help
    Regards

8. kain

kain

ok if its just for storage and its being picked up in the bootup (when IDE devices are being checked you should notice an extra drive, a string of numbers and letters that you havnt seen before)

Then you need to boot in safe mode (hold down f8 during bootup and select safe mode when you get to menu)

once youve booted from your original install of xp in 'safe mode'
    go to "my computer" and right click the new hardrive and select "format" from the pulldown menu.

format the drive and reboot then swap some files across from drive your old drive 2 your new drive 2 check.

9. Squashman

Kain, we have already determined that it is not being detected on boot up.

Why would the user need to go into safe mode to format the drive. That is not necessary. And aren't you forgetting something. It is a brand new drive. It is still needs to be partitioned.

10. kain

kain

edit: also like squashman said check that the new hardrive is set to slave and your old one is set to master (look on both hardrives for diagrams on how to set slave and master , these are "jumpers")

I hope im not being too condescending but it you said you was still learning,
    Dont worry so are we all =p

11. kain

kain

Ive recently had the same problems installing new hardrives into seperate systems (master and slave) over a 3pc home network,

each time its been either the jumpers on the back of the hardrives themself or boot sequence set incorrectly in bios ie, setting the new hardrive in the boot sequence

If the new hardrive needs to be partitioned before formatting then you maybe right , but Im pretty sure I just booted in safe mode and formatted the hardrive once It was detected in bios.

12. nickson2

nickson2 Thread Starter

thanx for trYin to help, but the second (new) hard drive isnt being detected at all, HELP

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/184967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice