1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing a second hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wadet, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wadet

wadet Thread Starter

I am trying to install a second hard drive into a Dell e510. It is a 250 gb sata 2. The power cable was already there and I bought a data cable. When I go to disk management, it sees it as disc 1, removable, designated by letter f. I thought I could right click on the disc in order to start the formatting but all I get is "change drive letter and path", "properties", and "help". I am a bit confused as to how to format and partition this hard drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Wadet:)

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

3. wadet

wadet Thread Starter

Jazz.....Thank you for your reply but I can only get so far in the instructions. When I go to disk management, it shows a disk o with 3 partitions. Under this is a disk 1 that says removable (f:), no media. When I right click on disk 1, all I receive as instructions are "change letter drives and paths", "properties", and "help". I don't know where to go from here. The second drive is in and the cables are connected. I only had to connect the power cable and the data cable to the motherboard. It seems simple since this is a sata drive but apparently I am not doing something right.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

Okay I'm guessing I'm confused. When you say you want to format the drive you've gone into bios and made sure the second drive is there? You're Primary or first hard drive is also SATA or IDE? You now have two separate HDs? You want to format it - to use as an Operating System? or to use as Storage? You format the second drive the same as with the first if it's a separate drive...with the OS CD. If it's a slave to another Hard Drive you would use Administrative Tools and format through that.
    Start by sharing what your Primary Hard Drive is. Is it SATA or is it an IDE directly connected to you're MB? What size is the Primary HD?
    Does the Bios recognize both Drives?
    Now as to the issue of formatting a HD with a right click on the drive I don't think that's possible. HD's have to have an OS or be connected to one to run. It sounds like you're trying to format the Hard Drive like you would a floppy or CD and that's not how you do it. Let us know...Jazz

5. Flags

Flags

Disk 1 is your card reader. Hence: Removable-no Media.
    If you have no other disks listed other than Disk 0 and Disk1, then your PC doesn't see your new HDD.
    With the new HDD installed, what do you see under My Computer?

6. bigbear

bigbear

You need to "initialize" the drive first.
    In diskmanagement look at the panel to the left of the drive, right click and choose "initialize" then you should be able to format the drive

7. wadet

wadet Thread Starter

disk 0, disk 1, cd rom 0, cd rom 1

8. bigbear

bigbear

Eh?

9. wadet

wadet Thread Starter

Sorry Flags, I'm new to this. Under disk management there is a disk 0, disk 1, cd rom 0, cd rom 1

10. wadet

wadet Thread Starter

Jazz...Primary hard drive is 160 gb sata. The second hard drive is a new seagate 250 gb sata to be used as storage.

11. Flags

Flags

Wadet: The 250gig drive is not recognized in My Computer. Until you can get it recognized, you cannot Format it.
    In your BIOS, have you activated your Serial port connections? I believe, by default only the sata 1 is active. The rest have to be turned on if and when you need them.

12. wadet

wadet Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone especially to Jazz and Flags. I followed the bios instruction sent by Jazz and turned the hard drive on. It worked and then the wizards took over and formatted the hd. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help.

pisgah

13. wadet

wadet Thread Starter

Thanks Flags....I think I got it whupped as we say here in NC.

Thank you....pisgah

14. jazz3000

jazz3000

wadet - That's so good and I'm so glad to hear it. Be sure to let the forum know it was Resolved. Jazz

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice