1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing a secondary harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kmorris, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmorris

kmorris Thread Starter

I have an older 266 that I let my girls use to play their games on. The hardrive on it is 4GB and is just about full. I am trying to install another 6GB harddrive to help. I'd like to run Windows off of one harddrive and some of the larger games off of the other. Is this possible? I tried to put in the other harddrive but Windows won't recognize it. How do I get it recognized?
    Thank you!!

2. brianF

brianF

I take it you have connected the drive, jumpered it, and set the ide channel in setup.

If the drive is recognized when you boot up you need to use the fdisk tool from the dos prompt to partition and format the drive.

Safest way to do it. shut your machine down. Go in and disconnect your old drive so as not to work on the wrong drive.
    Place a win98 startup disk in and let it boot to the command prompt. Do not choose with cdrom support.
    From the a prompt type fdisk
    Answer yes to the lba question, make sure the drive size is the new one, not old if you didn't disconnect it.
    choose option 1, create primary partiton, make the partition the full size of the drive, follow the prompts. when done you will have to reboot again, leave the startup disk in and the old drive disconnected. Do not choose with cdrom support. Once at the a prompt type format C:

ONce the format is done, shut the machine off, reconnect the old drive, boot up, windows should see your new drive

Just make sure that you don't partition or format your old drive, that's why it's a good idea to disconnect it while doing this.
    If you don't disconnect it it is too easy to do the wrong drive if your not familiar with doing this type of operation

Hope that helps

If the drive isn't recognized when you boot up post back and someone will help you get it configured properly

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice