1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing a WindowsXP Sata hard drive onto a new Win7 system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jaktai, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jaktai

Jaktai Thread Starter

Hi! I currently got a new system with Windows 7 after my old XP system died, Since I cant boot up the old system I was wondering if I could install the old C-drive from it into my new(Win 7) system if so, would I have to have a dual boot option or would it recognize it as a Hard-drive and allow me to access it through Win7?

So in a nutshell can I take a hard-drive from a Winxp system and throw it in my new systems drive bay and without doing anything have it recognize it or will I have to go into BIOS?

I was going to plug-n-pray but I figured I'd enlist some help from some Techies namely anyone who can answer/help me

Thanks so much for anyone whom can help :)

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It will just recognize it as a hard drive. For it to work in a dual boot setup you will have to install XP after the hard drive is installed in the computer.

3. Jaktai

Jaktai Thread Starter

Alright Thanks, So theres no way I can get Win7 To recognize the data on it without installing XP on that drive?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    WIndows 7 will recognize the data, but it will be just that a storage drive not a boot drive in a dual boot as you asked previously. Programs will not run that are installed on that drive without reinstalling them fresh as there will have to be entries made to the registry and the drive letter will not be correct for the installed programs on the XP Drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice