1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing an ANCIENT (120mb) HDD as a slave on a modern system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jflanger, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jflanger

jflanger Thread Starter

About 5 years ago, I screwed up the config.sys on our first computer while trying to install a zip drive. As far as I know, the drive itself has been fairly safe and inert, and should have no major problems with bad sectors or otherwise.

The system was a DOS 5.0-based 486SX capable of running Windows 3.1 and all sorts of goodies. We have some valuable financial data that we've put off retrieving till now, both because we didn't have the knowhow or the resources to do so.

So right now, my mission is to get it connected as a slave drive in our brand-spankin' new Athlon2000 XP Pro-based system, salvage all the data, and hope that Excel or something is able to convert all the old database files we had on that system.

I had to do the same thing for the hard drive from a pentium 133, and it went off without a hitch--XP detected it and its two windows 95 (FAT16?) partitions, made it immediately available, and I just drag and dropped it all in.

The older hard drive, however, isn't being detected. I'm not familiar enough with technological trends to figure out what file partitioning system it was formatted under (FAT16, I'd like to believe, but is there a predecessor to that which would have been used circa 1992?)

If anybody could point out how I might go about actually mounting this drive and accessing its various file structures, and how I might port them to a newer hard drive using XP or command line instructions, I'd be most grateful.

When plugging it in, the hard drive powers up and starts spinning, so I'm guessing it's ok. If the fact that it's not detected suggests otherwise, let me know. I've already configured it to function as a slave drive, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm also not sure if it uses plain old ATA or some other interface standard.

The drive is a Connor CP30104H. Specs are here: (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/cp30104h.html )
    I'm fairly hardware-savvy, having built a number of computers, fixed a few and such, so feel free to throw around any modern terminology or standard windows operations without worry (assume, however, that I am a command line idiot)

Thanks!

2. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

It might be too old for ATA, so try putting the figures for cylinders, heads and sectors into the BIOS setup manually.

3. pronute

pronute

The link you provided will let you install this drive, the drive is not capable of auto detect you have to configure it manually in BIOS

Cylinders: 762
    Heads: 8
    Sectors: 39

4. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

No offense or anything man, but whats the point of having something that small. About the only thing you could put on it would be a few pics or mp3s.

5. zeddy

zeddy

Also you would not want to slow down your new hard drive to the speed of the 120mb drive.

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

The poster wants to TRANSFER the OLD data off the drive to the new system.

120mb doesn't hold much of anything today.

-------

To the poster:

When needing to plug in a HD for temp usage into a computer, I unplug the CD-ROM drive(s) and plug the HD directly to the computer's 2nd IDE channel... so there is no worry about conflicts with other drives and trying to remove and position jumpers correctly. Try that.

7. jflanger

jflanger Thread Starter

Well, interestingly enough, after trying the exact same configuration that I'd tried before (Connecting as a slave on an ATA 100 cable) it showed up as an E drive. The whole time, it was easily detected by the BIOS, so it doesn't look like i'm going to run into complications there. When I connected it to a dedicated IDE (showed up as secondary slave...guess I might have set the jumpers wrong), it was also detected, but not assigned a drive letter.

What's annoying now is that though it has a drive letter and all, it's purported to be unformatted. I know for certain that though I accidentally rewrote some of the lines in config.sys, causing the boot to always be incomplete, I never ever reformatted the drive. Could this have resulted in any way from storage? It sat in the computer for a long time, was moved to a p133 and left sitting on top of another hdd (not screwed in though). For the last two months it's been sitting on a shelf, fortunately not gathering dust since I've made sure it's nice and clean.

Any thoughts on how to rectify this? Thanks for the helpfulness of replies thus far!

8. Rockn

Rockn

If it is showing up as an E drive all you probably need to do is go into the Disk Administrator in XP so it can write a signature to the drive so the OS can access it.

9. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

Wait! That was an old DOS/Win3.1 drive. Before you write one byte to that drive using Windows, boot up from a DOS floppy and copy the whole thing to any available partition on the other drive.

Now that you're close to recovering the data, don't trust Windows with it until you have a backup. ;]

P.S: Try disconnecting all the other drives and see if that old one will boot into DOS for you. If so, connect a Windows drive as a slave and copy it over while you're still in DOS.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice