1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing an XP game into windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by carolina123, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carolina123

carolina123 Thread Starter

I have the sims complete collection which is for windows 95,98 and XP, but I want to install it onto my windows8 and everytime I try to install it I get a pop up error sayings:

error: the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the open file is no longer valid

please help me!! :(

2. golddust

golddust

Those old Sims games may not be compatible with Windows 8.

3. geodripp

geodripp

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Actually, XP has nothing to do with it. 64-bit operating systems cannot support 16-bit, but 32-bit operating systems (including Windows 8) can. Vista was the last operating system I every got Sims Complete to install on. It seems to have problems with NTFS.

Now that I have gone 64-bit, I don't even try anymore.

5. carolina123

carolina123 Thread Starter

im not very good with computers, what are 16,32,64 bit?? And how can I know which one my computer is? If my computer is 32 bit, does that mean I can install the game?

6. geodripp

geodripp

In the metro interface you can type computer into the search field and once the results show up click computer and select properties down at the bottom. This should open a window on your desktop that will tell you if your are running on 64 bit or 32 bit.

Something like this

System----------------------------

Rating (some number)

Processor: (intel, amd etc. )

Installed memory: (some #)

System type: 64 or 32 <--- this is what your looking for

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice