1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing AOL Instant messeging (AIM 6.5)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Yaron, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yaron

Yaron Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have downloaded the AIM, got a screen asking for my screen name and my password [which both i do not have yet]. I tried "forgot your password", got finally a screen telling me that the password was reset and that a password is being sent to my email, but this never happened.
    The bottom line is that I cannot start using this service at all, and I do not find any assistance in the AOL/ AIM sites.
    Can anybody help?
    thanks, Yaron.

2. Rivera42

Rivera42

If you don't have a screen name then sending them your email for a forgotten password won't do anything; you can't reset the password on an account that doesn't exist. AIM has a link in the sign-in dialog that says something to the effect of "Get A Free Screen Name Now" or possibly just "Sign Up." I forget the exact wording because I use auto-login and thus never really interact with the sign-in box. Click that link and wait for your browser to open a new window. If for some reason this doesn't work for you, just go to www.aim.com and click on the giant, colorful button to "Sign Up For A Free AOL Screen Name." From there you just enter your information and once you've gotten your account set up, you should be able to log in to your AIM client.

A few things you should know (if you're new to AIM I'm guessing you aren't aware of this stuff yet):
    AIM 6.5 is the latest version, but I find it to be a little buggy and can sometimes present a drag on your system resources. This will vary depending on how you use it, but always make sure to update the client as they have only just released version 6 this year so the kinks are still being worked out.
    Also, you may not realize this but when you get a screen name they give you an email account along with it. You don't have to use it, but you should know it's there, at the very least. I find their email interface to be a lot more pleasant than Yahoo or the even the new Hotmail, and more importantly, you can use AIM email accounts with Microsoft Outlook Express, which is something you cannot do with a Yahoo Free Account or a Microsoft Hotmail Free Account.
    You can also get a free 5 Gigabyte Xdrive account by signing in to xdrive.com with your screen name. It's basically a mapped network drive that you have no physical access to; I find that it comes in handy for filesharing and for holding redundant backups. If you put music in your Xdrive you can listen to it on any computer you use, which is something that's kept me sane when I'm out on the road, in the field or just plain away from home.
    Those are a couple of the things that you get (or are offered) for free with an AIM account and since I had to find all this stuff the hard way, I just figured I'd do you a solid and try to start you off pointed in the right direction.

*On a personal note, I'm still kind of partial to the old AIM 5.9 :D

3. Yaron

Yaron Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, this is very helpful; This is indeed new to me, hope to get started...

4. Rivera42

Rivera42

Another random tip: AIM enables you to transfer files between users, in the style of a P2P program, only I don't think it's considered P2P. I'm really not sure about the technical nuances of it, but I do know that you can do file transfers on AIM and that's something you oughta know. I guess it's unethical to suggest you can share music like this (they do offer a plugin to STREAM your music to Buddies, btw) but you absolutely can use the feature to share, say, large folders of JPGs, for instance, or send a Buddy the zip file for a freeware app. The uses are (almost) boundless.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!