1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing bare bones XP on my PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by minameise, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. minameise

minameise Thread Starter

Hi Tech Support Guys,

I have a Toshiba laptop that has a recovery DVD of Win XP media center ed. I am giving it to a family member and I want to do a system restore to factory settings. A few years ago a friend restored it to factory settings but somehow removed all the extra components XP came with, and XP was restored to a bare bones state. It was missing most of the junk Toshiba included and was much faster than the Factory Restore. I want to do this type of restore to it again, and let my family member install what they want on it. My friend is now stationed outside the US and it's very difficult to get a hold of them.

When I pop the DVD in it asks me if I want to do a system restore or if I want to add additional components from the DVD (in case I delete something I wasn't supposed to). But it does not give me the choice to restore factory settings with out extras. I am wondering how my friend accomplished this and how I can do it myself to avoid all the extra junk manufacturers include with the package. At the moment the laptop is showing about 50-60 precesses which is a bit excessive for how fast it is.

Thanks in advance!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is there any chance that you friend may have used a program like Decrapifier after doing the standard factory restore?

3. minameise

minameise Thread Starter

No, although I have never heard of that program before. I was with him when he did it, I just don't remember what he did, typed, triggered for it to do this.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

He probably used a normal install CD for XP and just added the drivers.

5. minameise

minameise Thread Starter

No, he just used the regular restore DVD which came with the system. There was no other kind of software available to use, so it would've been impossible to use anything else. I just wish I could remember if he selected any specific type of option or setting which did this.

6. minameise

minameise Thread Starter

Guess no one has any idea?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!