Installing Broadband with Win 98 SE.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alpha24

Hi. I have been trying to install Broadband with my Win 98 SE for a couple of weeks without success,the particular problem being only getting as far as the configuration stage and then being told that "Broadband drivers have failed to install correctly". I have had two long telephone-prompted sessions with AOL Support ,which both failed at the same stage and neither guy was able to suggest a remedy. I also got the Errormessage " Can't get registry value: Key=Software\Globespan Virata\Adsl Value=driver Type", which may be a clue to the cause. Can anyone help me with this issue,please.? Cheers, Alpha. :confused:

Hi,

Googling your error message comes up with very little.

Which modem are you using? If it is the Globespan Virata - which model is it - we could try to locate another driver for it.

Is the modem listed in Device Manager and is there a yellow exclamation mark next to it?

alpha24

1069 said:
Hi,

1) Which modem are you using? If it is the Globespan Virata - which model is it - we could try to locate another driver for it.

2) Is the modem listed in Device Manager and is there a yellow exclamation mark next to it?

Thanks 1069. 1) My existing modem is an Intel(R)536EP and the broadband modem (driver will not "install correctly") is a BT Voyager 105. I found several registry entries mentioning Globespan,including (Name) ab Device Desc.(Data) "Globespan USB ADSL LAN MODEM" but I don't know what they are doing there !! 2) The modem listed is the Intel and there is no exclamation mark. I feel sure I'm not the only one to have this particular installation problem and am hoping someone will come up with the answer. Cheers, Alpha. :(

alpha24

1069 said:
alpha,

If you uninstall the present driver ( as suggested in the text) does the Globespan error still persist? (boot up again before installing the downloaded driver).
Thanks 1069. Can you please confirm that uninstalling my present driver at that stage will be OK, as I have been told not to do so until after the new driver has been successfully installed, as I could then be driverless. !! Cheers, Alpha.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I don't know how "AOL Hell" works, but when I had high-speed cable with Time-Warner Roadrunner installed on my Windows 98SE computer, there was no software or drivers installed - except for the network card drivers.

The cable was connected to the cable modem, the cable modem was connected to the network card, then some signals were sent back and forth to the cable company to make sure they "talked" to each other.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You've asked an excellent question, but I get the feeling you've been somewhat MISinformed; 1069 wrote:

"There is a driver listed that can be downloaded"

He is telling you to download the NEW driver from that website BEFORE you uninstall the problematic driver, though not in so many words. That way, the NEW driver will be safely stored on your harddrive before you uninstall the OLD one. The same instructions exist on the BT.com webpage; the very first step posted is to download the NEW drivers through the link provided, and store them in a temporary folder on your harddrive.

To make this somewhat easier, I will slightly modify the instructions on the BT.com webpage; just follow these steps, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Here it is, by the numbers:

1. FIRST, create a folder to store the NEW drivers in (you will download them shortly, if you haven't already done so). To create a folder to store the new drivers in, you can simply right-click the Windows Desktop, and choose NEW > FOLDER from the context menu (which will open when you right-click the Desktop). Give it a name such as "VOYAGER DRIVERS". Then, start the download by clicking on the link provided on the BT.com webpage, and direct the .ZIP file (containing the ADSL modem drivers) to the "VOYAGER DRIVERS" folder on the Desktop.

2. If you don't already have a ZIP / UNZIP utility on that system, you can download a good FREE one from here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z432.exe?use_mirror=kent

That file is stored on a server in Kent, which is probably a LOT closer to you than the US servers I downloaded my copy from...

Once the file has been downloaded (which won't take long; the entire 7-Zip program is small enough to fit on a floppy disk), you can install it onto your system. Simply double-click the downloaded file and follow the prompts to install it.

3. Next, uninstall the current drivers from your PC. This is achieved by double clicking the Voyager icon in the System Tray and then clicking Uninstall - follow the on-screen instructions.

4. Now, unzip the downloaded file (BTVoyager105ADSLModem.zip) in the new folder you created earlier; if you've already installed a ZIP utility (such as 7-Zip or WinZip, the file will open automatically, and you'll only have to guide the ZIP utility to the proper folder.

5. Ensure that the USB cable between the Voyager 105 modem and PC is disconnected.

6. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the new folder Voyager Drivers and double click on the file Setup.exe

7. Follow the on-screen instructions plugging in the blue USB cable when prompted.

8. If you are a Windows 98 user, you may be asked to insert your Windows 98 Installation CD. At the end of the installation, restart your PC.

I copied this DIRECTLY from the BT.com webpage:

"Please note that the Diagnostic Tool and the Help option, accessed from the Voyager Control Panel will not work as these have been excluded from this driver to shorten the download time. This will not affect the operation of the Voyager Modem."

Well, hope that helps you make progress... keep us posted. If you run into problems or see any error messages, post them here, and we'll try to help you further.

alpha24

flavallee said:
when I had high-speed cable with Time-Warner Roadrunner installed on my Windows 98SE, there was no software or drivers installed - except for the network card drivers.

Thanks flavallee. I'll certainly look into TWR but I believe it's for US of A only.

Cheers, Alpha.

alpha24

Thanks for all the info:Sammy. Only got a few minutes to spare at the moment but will have a go this evening. Forgot to mention that I tried download/install Voyager drivers from an AOL site but still couldn't get past the message on the CD about faifure to install correctly.

Cheers, Alpha.

Well, I hate to ask the obvious question, but why would you try to download the Voyager drivers from an AOL website? Did AOL provide the modem?

Also, if you were installing downloaded drivers, why was a CD involved? What was the CD supposed to do for you?

OK, I just realized that the Intel modem you're referring to is a DIAL-UP modem; there is NO reason to uninstall the dial-up modem drivers when you install broadband service. I originally thought you were SWITCHING from one broadband service to another, and needed to install a DIFFERENT DSL modem than the one you had been using previously, which is NOT the case at all...

We'll take this by the numbers once you report your progress / current situation... do NOT uninstall the DIAL-UP modem drivers. You should be able to leave them installed, so you can still dial-out for access if the DSL modem connection fails.

Did you remember to install a line filter inline with your DSL modem? Did you receive a D-I-Y kit for this installation, or are you piecing this together as you go along?

Please answer my questions as soon as you can; we'll have a better idea on how to advise you once we know some more details.

alpha24

sammysosa said:
1) Well, I hate to ask the obvious question, but why would you try to download the Voyager drivers from an AOL website? Did AOL provide the modem?

2) Also, if you were installing downloaded drivers, why was a CD involved? What was the CD supposed to do for you?

3) do NOT uninstall the DIAL-UP modem drivers. You should be able to leave them installed, so you can still dial-out for access if the DStion fails.

4) Did you remember to install a line filter inline with your DSL modem? Did you receive a D-I-Y kit for this installation, or are you piecing this together as you go along?.

Thanks again Sammy. I can see I didn't give enough info: in my initial posting.
1) I was using the Broadband installation kit (including the modem) provided by AOL.
2) The the kit included an installation CD but the modem driver wouldn't install, so I tried downloading it from an AOL site but it still wouldn't install.
3) That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.
4) The kit included the telephone line filters.
Cheers, Alpha.

If you are still having problems have you tried my suggestion in post 4?

If the modem is a BT Voyager 105 it seems to make sense to download the driver from their website.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online