1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing CD-RW in Compaq Presario

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Qlder61, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Qlder61

Qlder61 Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I am trying to install a Cyberdrive x16x12x40 CD-RW into a Compaq Presario 5000 series PC. If no other device is attached to either the IDE or to the power supply, and if the CD-RW isn't attached to the IDE then power will get to the CD-RW. If the CD-RW is attached to the IDE and/or any other device is attached then no power goes to the CD-RW.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is and how I can fix it.

Cheers
    Garth

2. Qlder61

Qlder61 Thread Starter

I take it no-one has any idea on this?:(

3. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Holiday weekend and not everyone is online-i dont have an answer, only questions. I am guessing that the computer came with a CD-rom, so do you have the hard drive and the original CD-rom on the same ribbon cable? Is the new CDRW being installed on the Secondary IDE cable or is it in some other configuration? Have you set the jumpers correctly? Are you sure the power connector is installed correctly, power supply red wire toward the ribbon cable socket? Is the ribbon cable connected with the red wire toward the power supply connector?

4. Qlder61

Qlder61 Thread Starter

Paul,

Sorry, being in Australia and it being a working Monday I had no idea you guys were on a long weekend.

In answer to your questions. The original CD-ROM was on a different ribbon on the Secondary EDE channel. I placed it on the Primary IDE and the PC picks up the changes without any problems.

It is irrelevant to the PC whether I put the CD-RW on the primary as slave or the secondary as slave or master, it just won't power the unit up when the IDE ribbon is inserted. I replaced the original 250W power supply with a 350W but this is not the cause of the problem. The CD-RW works fine when I place it in a different machine (not a Compaq).

I was just wondering if the problem is related to the PC being a Compaq. I have no idea how it is done but I can find no way of making any changes to allow the CD-RW to be accepted.

Thanks for your response.

5. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

I have no real susgestiosn other than either the power supply small or the drive is wired incorrectally. Sorry, but must go to sleep now. Will try again tomorrow.

6. deuce

deuce

Well it sounds like the ps is too small... but if you put in a 350... then it probably isn't it. As for sharing an IDE between the hd and cd... I'm not too sure they like to share very well... so you are better off keeping them seperate. In a way the problem could be that it is a compaq. They are just bizzarre and like to be different... and I have had a lot of problems upgrading hardware. They seem to tend to not like to be upgraded. That probably isn't it though...

Have you made sure both IDEs are ok?... they do go bad sometimes. Over then that... I don't have anyother suggestions right now. If the drive works fine in other computers, then that probably isn't the problem.

7. slipe

slipe

Compaq uses “cable select” instead of master/slave on some computers. Jumper it to cable select and put it on the end connector if the ribbon cable has two connectors. Was the CD-ROM jumpered to cable select?

8. Qlder61

Qlder61 Thread Starter

slipe,

This PC certainly does use cable select. Unfortunately it makes no difference it I jumper it for cable select or master/slave.

Compaq, of course, refuse to help in any way.

9. deuce

deuce

Don't hold your breath. As far as I'm concerned, compaq doesn't have tech support... that's why they never help. Their tech support is a bunch of bad PR people who pretend to be tech support so compaq can say that they have it.

10. slipe

slipe

I think the burner is getting power, just not showing activity with it hooked to the IDE cable. How are you determining that power is not getting to the drive?

With everything plugged in is the burner showing up in device manager and windows explorer? If it is showing up in device manager delete it and reboot.

Any yellow exclamation marks in device manager? Have you checked your IDE settings in BIOS?

11. Qlder61

Qlder61 Thread Starter

slipe,

With everything plugged in the CD-RW doesn't show up in BIOS or of course in Windows. If I don't plug the IDE ribbon into the CD the lights flash on startup and I can operate the eject. When the IDE ribbon is plugged in the light doesn't flash and I can't eject, hence the statement of no power.

Deuce,

I actually had quite an argument with Compaq. I pointed out that the device works quite happily in other machines but not the Compaq, therefore it is a Compaq issue. However they refused to accept this. I guess they have been to the Microsoft school of tech help.

12. Gary16735

Gary16735

By talking with people in my area and working part-time at a Radio Shack store, I have heard that Compaq uses their own brand of equipment. Somewhat like IMAC. But I am sure there is a way you can hook it up. Any local "experts" in your area? Gary

13. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

I guess you could try to replace the ribbon cable as i have seen some in the past that had a cut out segment on 1 wire. I dont know what it was for, but if you have one like that, it may be a problem. I would also try booting up with a Win98 boot disk and checking if the CDRW is seen by dos. Just remember when using a W98 boot disk that it creates a temporary drive and moves your devices donw the alphabet 1 letter.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice