Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installing chipset drivers without loading Windows.. Possible?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jedi_Master 
#1 ·
It's a bit confusing, but here goes...

Someone I know at work created an image of machines using the Intel 815E chipset. Now he wants to transfer that same image onto a machine using the Intel 845GS chipset. However (and I'm sure no-one will be too surprised at this), the machine keeps blue-screening whenever we try to boot.
It's Win2K, corporate edition, all legit etc. Question is, how can we install the new chipset drivers into Windows without booting it up? It blue-screens before it goes anywhere, but is it possible to install from DOS, or using some other kind of alternate OS? (like bootable CD-ROM, FD, etc)
Of course, have already tried booting into safe mode, tried using the recovery console on the Win2K CD with no luck. (the latter allows him to check the drive, etc, but not INSTALL anything)

So... is this even possible? Or should I just forget this and start from scratch? Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Nautilus

#2 ·
Howdy there Nautilus...

Question is, how can we install the new chipset drivers into Windows without booting it up?
No can do, the OS has to be loaded before you can install the chipset drivers...

However...

You can load the image on one of the pc's with the 815E chipset, and install the Standard drivers for the IDE controllers, and Standard drivers for the Chipset ( when asked to reboot don't ), then use Sysprep with the -PNP option to force the mini setup, then dump the image back up to where you are storing the images, you may have to install the drivers for the 845GS chipset...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.