1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing debian linux

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by fenderjaguar, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Thread Starter

hi.

ok, so i downloaded some version of debian linux off bittorrent, then i burned the .ico file to a CD. it was just under 700mb. i have a blank hard disk, 20 gb. so i put it in place of my normal hard disk. with the CD in the drive, i went to setup, then set to boot from CD. but all i get is a message telling me the wrong diskette is in drive A. what the hell? how come it's talking about the floppy drive, when i set to boot from CD? what have i done wrong?

thanks

2. vtel57

vtel57

Well, here's what possibly happened, and it's a common mistake:

You downloaded an iso image file of Debian's installation CD onto your local hard drive, then you used Windows built-in (or some other 3rd party app) to burn the iso image that you downloaded to a disk. Here's the problem, though... you probably burned the iso image as a data disk. That won't work. You can't boot a data disk.

Windows built in burning software (and many other 3rd party apps) do not have the capability to burn CD images. You need an app called ISO Recorder by Alex Feinman. It's a very small download that integrates with your WinXP built-in burning application. Once you've installed it, just RIGHT click on your downloaded iso image file and choose "Make Disk".

Toss out the other disk that you burned... or use it as a coaster on your end table. Now that you've properly burned the iso image, you can set your BIOS to boot to the CD. Once it boots, the Debian step-by-step installer will commence. Note: Debian is an outstanding Linux distribution, in my opinion. However, it's not a good beginner's choice.

Hope this helped you. If you already knew how to properly burn iso images, just disregard my posting.

Luck to you!

~Eric

3. fenderjaguar

thanks. you were right, i just burnt the .iso on with nero as a data disk. did what you said and it does indeed boot up from CD and everything was going well, until the "debian base" tryed to install, i got this:

"couldn't download iptables"

is this something to do with the network connection or something wrong with downloading off the CD itself?

you say that debian isn't too suitable for relative novice, such as myself. could you suggest something more suitable? to be honest i don't mind throwing myself in the deep end with this, now i've downloaded it. nowt else to do at the moment anyway.

thanks again. hope to hear from someone soon.

4. vtel57

vtel57

If you downloaded the "net install" CD (just one CD), then it's very possible that the problem is on their server. The best time to attempt a net install late at night (in the US). The servers are a lot less congested at that time.

Debian is a wonderful distribution (one of my favorites). However, it does have a steep learning curve for someone new to Linux. I would recommend Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. This will serve two purposes... Ubuntu is much simpler to install and learn, and also it will prepare you for Debian should you decide to try that distro down the road a bit.

Here is a link to a post with many, many useful Ubuntu links:

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=17087&hl=ubuntu+links

Give Ubuntu a try... I'm sure you'll like it.

Enjoy! :)

5. fenderjaguar

well, it turned out to be a scratch on the disk. i just noticed it after i typed this post. so i simply burned it to another disk. debian is fully installed on my second hard disk now, and i can boot to either debian or winxp from the boot screen. however, in my ignorance, i never realised this version of linux ran as a command line.

so yeah, it's installed and ready for building up (?) into an operating system. but i don't know anything about unix, so i think i'm going to have to install something that else. i'll check this thing you've posted out. do you also know if there is a version of linux that starts from the beginning with a desktop environment, like windows?

cheers

6. vtel57

vtel57

All Linux operates with a command line interface. However, there are desktop apps that give you a GUI (graphic user interface) like Windows. Debian has one also... probably Gnome. You start the graphic interface by logging in as your normal user, then typing "startx" in the command line.

7. vtel57

vtel57

8. fenderjaguar

cheers for all that, mate. i actually ended up intalling xubuntu and xp as a dual boot

9. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I am new to computers and even newer to Linux, less than a week, but I did a dual boot with XP and the Linux Distro PCLinuxOS TR2. It was as easy as pie. Start to finish, format>install>online with FF, in about 15 minutes, probably less. I already had a partition though. I was on XP once to make sure it still worked but I have not gone back to it again yet, nor am I likely to until I have to. (I have a need of MS office)
    It has a GUI similar to windows.
    As a new user, I highly recommend it for other new users. PCLinuxOS that is.

10. fenderfreek

fenderfreek

What functionality do you need from MS Office that OpenOffice doesn't provide?

11. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I don't know of any yet, but I tutor it at the College where I work.
    This makes it necessary, and free I might add, to have. With this price, I personally have no complaints about MS Office either.
    I have suggested OpenOffice to many students. Most appreciate. Especially the price comparison.

12. Bartle

Bartle

You can use magiciso to make bootable cd. It works well for me.
    http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-make-bootable-cd.htm

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!