Installing DELL Windows XP SP1 cd onto new hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JMT74

Hi. A few days ago my hard drive crapped the bed so I bought a new one. I was wondering if I should do something different than what I was gonna do. I have the original Dell Windows XP SP1 cd that came with my Dell computer. I am going to install it on my new hard drive. After I do this should I go to www.microsoft.com and download the SP2 or should I do something different altogether? I just wanna make sure I have all the windows security updates on the new hard drive.

You should really slipstream SP2 into that original CD. Takes a little effort, but well worth the time and will save some hard drive space.

or you could just do the smart thing, and call dell, tell them you need the operating system cd, they never stop shipping even if you are out of contract..and since they are not shipping any sp1, trust me i know..you will recieve xp sp2, then install that, and no worries..all is hunky dory...you will recieve it within 1 to 2 days depending on when you call, if you call before 5pm central time, you will recieve it next day...if not, you will have to wait a day...

if you purchased it under a business name, or you got it through like aafes or something like that, the number is 1-800-822-8965

JMT74

Tell me how to slipstream SP2 into the original CD please.

jmwills said:
You should really slipstream SP2 into that original CD. Takes a little effort, but well worth the time and will save some hard drive space.

JMT74

Is there really much of a difference if I just install the SP2 CD when I get it?

jmwills said:

It all depends on when the SP2 disc was created. You can get really creative and slpipstream all the current updates (to the time when you downloaded them) and create your own current updated version with SP2.

or you can put in the email with microsoft for the sp2, and they will send you sp2..all the updates, you will get it within three days, and best of all, it comes with its own uninstall program..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online