1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing direcx 9.0c

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by danielno8, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

hi, i am attempting to install directx 9.0c from version 9.0b. i was installin the sims 2 and it said it required 9.0c, so i allowed it to try install it. it aid everything went ok and installed fine, but it doesnt initialize thre game and gives the error that directx 9.0c is not installed. i ran dxdiag and it is still saying version 9.0b. so i tried installing again from the CD and it went from the screen where you accept the license agreement, and then when i accepted it went straight to saying the components had been installed. still said 9.0b in dxdiag. I then tried downloading it, same thing. at no point through any attempts to install directx 9.0c did it ask me to re-boot which i though it would usually do. I did try re-booting however to see if that would work but it did not.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Dan

2. Chicon

Chicon

Hi danielno8,

I suggest you to proceed like this :
    log on with your administrator account;
    uninstall completely your DirectX via the Add/Remove programs utility;
    reboot and log with administrator account;
    install the last version of DirectX v. 9.0c;
    reboot and execute the dxdiag tests.

3. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

ummm directx isnt in the add/remove programs list. is it supposed to be? i didnt think it was. any other ways!?

thanks for the reply

Dan

4. Chicon

Chicon

Hum ! I forgot Microsoft doesn't support uninstallation of DirectX once it has been installed. Though I have in my Add/Remove programs the correction patch of DirectX.
    Just have a try to the site www.windowsupdate.com (you must be logged as Administrator) to get the last version of DirectX or correction patch.

5. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

there is no directx versions in windows update for me. wot is the correction patch?!

thanks for the reply

Dan

6. Chicon

Chicon

The patch in question was a security patch for DirectX 9.0b.
    I have just tried this and it works :
    I have just upgraded my DirectX (from v. 9.0b to v. 9.0c) directly online on the Microsoft site. When I run dxdiag, it gives me well 9.0c ! Try to do the same.
    It's all I can advice you.

7. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

when you say directly online what do u mean? from windows update?

8. Chicon

Chicon

9. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

ok, i just installed 9.0c on my other partition without any problems. so this prob is confined to this system. what i need now is a way of making the system realise that 9.0c isnt installed, as it seems to jst think it is? can i corrupt its files or something such that it will need re-installed? and then i can jst re-install with directx 9.0c??

10. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

hmm is it not compatible with XP SP2? i just realised it isnt listed?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!