1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing DOS 7.10

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by TechMaster7000, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechMaster7000

TechMaster7000 Thread Starter

Hi, i am having problems installing DOS 7.10 on a computer with a completely blank HDD. I got a DOS 7.1 ISO file and burned it onto a disc and managed to get the DR-DOS prompt working where I made a primary DOS partition and formatted it. How do I get into the setup screen?

Thanks.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You can't find a file anywhere on the CD that says SETUP.exe?

3. TechMaster7000

There is a file in the folder on the disc that is called SETUP.BAT....how would I navigate to that file from DR-DOS?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

5. TechMaster7000

Hi, thanks for the link DoubleHelix, I will try this tommorow.

6. TechMaster7000

Hi, DoubleHelix, I don't think this is what I want to do. What I want to do is run the SETUP.BAT file so I can setup MS-DOS 7.1. I have already made a primary partition for DOS and formatted. I do not have any OS on the computer yet.

I thought the setup was meant to run as soon as you start the computer with the CD in the drive but it just brings up the DR-DOS thing. Any suggestions?

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The link I gave you explained how to use the CD command to traverse the directory structure. You're using DOS. There's no fancy functionality like autorun where you put a disk in and something launches. If you need to execute a batch file, you have to navigate to that folder and type that command in.

8. TechMaster7000

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Pardon me for being blunt, but if you don't know how to use DOS commands, what are you going to do with DOS once you have it installed? The CD command is pretty basic.

10. TechMaster7000

I do know how to use DOS but i've never actually set it up before. I need it to use my CNC machine because the software my machine runs on is LCAM which is a DOS software. Please, could you help me install it? I would really appreciate it. Many thanks.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The SETUP.BAT file is right there in the root directory. You boot from the disk and type SETUP.BAT at the command prompt.

12. TechMaster7000

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how you can be familiar with using DOS and not understand basic commands.

You're at an A:\ prompt. DIR lists the files. Is SETUP.BAT there? If not, are directories listed? If so, what are they? Type CD <foldername> to go to a directory.

Do you have detailed instructions for installing and configuring your specialized software? And you've verified with the vendor that it will run on DR DOS?

14. TechMaster7000

I'm not familar with using DOS itself, only the LCAM software. Here is the list of directories and files: http://www.rmcweb.co.cc/100_0243.jpg

No, I don't have any detailed instructions on the installation. No, I have not verified with the vendor.

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Installing DR DOS is the easiest step in what will be a very complicated process if you don't know how to install and configure specialized software and don't know if it even works in DR DOS.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice