Installing DVD RW---

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CryinCoyote

New Micro Advantage 16x DVD RW calls for jumper setting set to Slave, and remaining CD-RW set to master-on secondary IDE- My Dell Dimension 8200 has a DVD drive and a CD-RW drive-- both are presently set to CSEL on the jumpers. My feeling is to set the DVDRW to CSEL. Instructions with the MA 16x says not to set jumpers on DVDRW drive to CSEL--I am replacing the DVD drive with the DVDRW and keeping the CD_RW. what do I do with the jumper settings???

Cable Select only works where the cables are compatable. Don't compare the Dell to the MA, they are not necessarily the same setup and cable type.

If it's not designed for CSEL, then simply use Master/Slave.

Each IDE cable can have 1 Master and One Slave only on it.

CryinCoyote

kiwiguy said:
Cable Select only works where the cables are compatable. Don't compare the Dell to the MA, they are not necessarily the same setup and cable type.

If it's not designed for CSEL, then simply use Master/Slave.

Each IDE cable can have 1 Master and One Slave only on it.

So I should change the CSEL jumper on the existing CD-RW I am keeping to the master setting, and set the new DVD_RW to slave?

Well, I really can't work out just what you are doing, and where the Dell comes into the picture.

If you are putting another optical drive into a PC that will only accept a Master/Slave relationship for IDE, you set the drives accordingly. 1 Master and 1 Slave on that IDE.

CryinCoyote

The Dell computer obviously has CSEL cables, since the jumpers are set to CSEL on both the current DVD drive and the CD_RW drive.... Guess I will set the new DVD-RW drive to slave, and reset the existing CD-rw drive from CSEL to master. Hope this works.... thanks, tom

I still cannot work out the relationship between the Dell and the Micro Advantage, sorry.
Hope the advice is correct.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online