1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing External Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ymfoster, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ymfoster

ymfoster Thread Starter

I have just bought an 80gb USB External Hard Drive & am wondering if it needs it's own driver & what sort ? ... also if I need to install software for Arcsoft Photo Studio to work on jpegs within it & whether my file names would need to be changed on the new Hard Drive, & if any other software is needed like True Image or Drive Image for backups ?.

I know nothing about using them & wondered if there is any advice available on-line ?
    Thanking you,
    Yvonne

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

In photo studio you just click file>open and browse to the usb hd for your file as if it were a file on a cd or floppy. No drivers necessary for xp, but not sure about other os's. Are you having trouble with it or just checking before you plug it in?

3. ymfoster

ymfoster Thread Starter

Thanks for that Gerry, :)
    I was just checking before I plugged it in,
    I have XP so it sounds like it will be fine, .... I do have a 'Clone' CD Rom burning programme that installed automatically to E. Drive, & wouldn't mind using that for the Hard Drive, would it be possible to transfer that to C Drive ?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You may have to partition and format the drive, depending on the specific make/model, and how it comes from the builder. XP, 2K, and ME should recognize the drive with no additional drivers, W98SE needs a driver.

5. johnni

johnni

I have an external hard drive F: working on USB 1.1. I also have ArcSoft Photo Studio installed on my C: drive. No problems at all working with images stored on the ext. hd. Just open ArcSoft and navigate to where the images are stored.
    I tend not to install programs on the ext.hd but keep them for the C: drive so that they can work with the registry.

johnni

6. ymfoster

ymfoster Thread Starter

Thanks for that John,
    It's a Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 - 80gb & is suitable for 1.1 & 2 usb,
    & I'm using XP SP2, so it sounds fine,
    Thanks for your advice,
    Yvonne

7. ymfoster

ymfoster Thread Starter

Thanks Johnni,
    My daughter was worried about having new file extensions with the new hard drive & having to re-do them all in albums for Arcsoft to recognise them, sounds like she probably won't have any problems.
    I prefer to have the software on the C: drive also, she just thought I may need Arcsoft on both ;),
    Thanks for your help,
    Yvonne

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Just plug it in and start filling it up :D

9. ymfoster

ymfoster Thread Starter

Hi Candy,
    Yes it will be a load off my mind :D

10. JohnWill

Remember, a single copy of a file only on the external hard disk is NOT backup, it's just data living in a new place and waiting to get lost. :D

11. ~Candy~

Well, john, you need 'some' kind of organization on it :p

I try to at least have the same named folders. Then I forget which ones I've updated :D :D

12. ymfoster

ymfoster Thread Starter

Thanks John,
    I'll keep that in mind ;)

I know what you mean Candy,
    I have some duplicate files that are privatised & don't always update both files ;)

Now could you please tell me if I need to have the second hard drive running whenever the computer is on, or only when I want to use it ? :)

13. johnni

johnni

You only need to have it switched on when you are going to use it. But be careful about switching it off. You should see a new icon on the task bar with a left sloping green arrow; double click on this and it will bring up a dialog box - click Stop, then in the next box OK. This will be followed after a pause by a box saying it is OK to switch off. Click OK then Close the first box and switch off the drive.
    If you forget to do this when closing down the PC it is OK to leave the USB drive running but you must eventually restart the PC and do the above procedure.

If you want to use your USB drive for backups have a look at this free program which I have been using for a couple of years without any problem. You tell it what to backup and where to (in this case your USB drive's drive letter and, I suggest, a new folder named, say, Incremental Backups). You then have the option to set a time, when you know the PC and the USB drive are both on, for an automatic backup to take place, or you can right click the program's tray icon (a yellow square and a clock), click open EZ Back-it-up and click a right-pointing green arrow to do a manual backup any time you like.
    When you set this up initially it will back up all the folders/files you tell it to, which may take some time, but thereafter it will backup only anything new or changed (in those folders) which is much faster.
    All of the above is much faster to do once tou get used to it!

johnni

14. ~Candy~

I leave mine off until I'm ready to use it, and always use the icon to stop it before turning it off ;)

15. JohnWill

I use Beyond Compare for my file sync needs to my USB/Firewire backup drives.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice