1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing fan/cpu probs blown CPU :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaye944, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaye944

jaye944 Thread Starter

Hi,

anyone confirm,

I've got a ATX MB with AMD Duron. (long story short)

if I run the board with heatsink but no fan for longer than say 1min, will I fry the CPU

if the CPU goes will I blow the MB ?

also the fan, that goes onto the heat sink, which direction should the air go,
    should it blow cold air onto the heatsink, or suck it away,

have NO PC at home, so need a "quickish" reply 5 hours

MANY MANY thankxs in advance

2. mknott

mknott

hi there,

it realy depends on what heatsink you have as some are capable of keeping your cpu cool with out a fan where others require a fan.

even ones that need fans to help in cooling the cpu can work for a limited perioud with out causing any harm to your cpu however i wouldnt advise it.

as for blowing the motherboard if you "melt" your cpu, i doubt it.

you can safe gard agenst overheating by setting your motherboard to shut down if it gets to hot.

as for the direction of air, im sure its got to be air blown onto the heatsink but am not sure if it can go the otherway

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The fan is there for a reason; the system needs it. Now you might be able to boot the system for a min or two without the fan however it needs to be fixed.

Next it depends on the design of the hsf as to whether air blows into the hs or is sucked up from the hs. Most systems blow air down into the hs.

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Its definitelt not advisable to run a heatsink without a fan, unless it is a specially designed fanless passive cooler, and I wouldnt like them anyway. There a quite a few tlales where fans have inadvertently been left off, and the system has a forced shutdown, but even then the chip will generally suffer, if only in lifespan.
    Having said that, if you are running for a very very short time, chances are you will achieve damage limitation. I have done this a few times, usually after a bad connection, and noticed things arent right. The only suggestion I would give for that is if possiblr, turn off the power at the psu.. this terminates quicker generally.

If the chip goes, it may or may not damage the mobo, but I would expect its more likely to. No definite answer apart from dont start without good cooling!

As far as fan direction goes, yes, its usual to blow on to the heatsink. However, if it was mounted as a suck, you will still achieve airflow, which is the main criteria. The fan is there to move air that heats up with the heat from the heatsink, so really if its the wrong way round you shouldt notice any real difference.

As an afterthought, if you water cool th efan is a redundant feature, but I assume thats not the case here. :)

5. jaye944

jaye944 Thread Starter

(y) (y)

Thankxs all for the quick replies, leaving work to pick up 2 (2nd hand CPU's).

To test tonight a 1000 and a 700.

Think I may have put too much thermal paste on it, got some instructions

so I'm a bit worried about the airflow direction on the fan at the mo !

6. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

You only need a tiny amount of thermal paste to fill the tiny nooks and valleys that are on both the cpu and heatsink. This just allows for more even contact between the 2 imperfect surfaces and ensures that there are no hotspots on the cpu. Too much paste will hinder the heat transfer. This is definitely a case where less is better.

7. jaye944

jaye944 Thread Starter

hi gang,

I've just tried 2 different CPU's in the MOBO and wont boot up. So like somone has already said. I think the MOBO has blown.

ok... a few questions

After having found a 2nd hand MOBO (same one MS-6340)

could the PSU have blown as well, can I check the voltages on it disconnected (as its a switched mode PSU) or do I need to check it on the board ?

cheers

8. jaye944

jaye944 Thread Starter

Well , I've gone through a pretty painfull (cost wise) process of getting swapping aorund bits and bobs for 3 motherboards to get me back up and working.

The MOBO I had was a MS-6340 ver3.

I eventually got it up and working by swpaping out bits in the end it was a new (6340) mobo, swapped out BIOS, running it with AMD Ath1100, and 256, (due to upgrade it to 512SD 133 ram tommorow)

I'm a dab hand at swappng CPU's now. And learnt a WHOLE load about PC's, dufferent version on MOBO's BIOS chips.

It would prolloy been a lot beter to read up on upgarding rather then just guess.

1> an AMD ath will die if run without a heatsink
    2> an AMD ath will die if run with a heatsink and without a fan
    3> and above said combination will make your MOBO an un usable piece of junk
    , all told

the price
    3 MOBO's (6340 including orginal, one supplied faulty with a dead keyb port) , 1 ASUS MOBO, totlly dead), 4 lots of AMIBIOS swapped around, 4 CPU's (1x750, 1x700, 1x1000, 1x1100 - however only the 700&750 died)

hmmmmmmmmmm - tally ho !

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice