1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing fresh XP on new drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dougsilver, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougsilver

dougsilver Thread Starter

I suspect what I am trying to do is dumb but please indulge me. My current machine has 2 internal ide hard drives. The first (Drive 0) is C: only and is bootable XP. The second (Drive 1) has 2 partitions--d: and t: The dvd/cdrom drive is e: and I have an external USB drive that is g:

My C: drive has gotten garbaged up over the years with a bunch of junk and my son gave me a slightly used blank drive. So I figured I would do a clean install of XP on that drive, and keep the original C: drive in the system so that I could copy/move over programs and data etc. as I need them. I also did not want to wipe out the original C: drive just in case I needed to boot from it for some oddball reason.

So I removed Drive 1, moved the original Drive 0 to the second position on the ide cable, and installed the new blank drive to the first position. I installed XP on the blank drive except the installation resulted in that drive being named f:

I guess I should have done the install without any other drives hooked up and I suppose the new one would have been named C: But then what happens when I hook up the original drive to the second position on the cable. Will there be problems since now there are two C: drives?

Am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks,

Doug

2. highspeed

highspeed

Why not try installing the xp on the black drive in the master cable side and you get it named as drive C, then after the installation, insert the second or old drive to the slave side and boot up and see what shws up on your screen.
    Then you can format the slave drive and name it with a different drive letter..

3. dougsilver

dougsilver Thread Starter

So are you saying I should start by removing all drives, then install the new blank drive ONLY in the first position of the IDE cable, then do another fresh install from the xp cd? I am sure that would result in that new drive being drive c: But then when I put the old drive back in on the second position of the same cable, won't there be a problem since that drive was also originally called c:? Or will the new drive with xp recognize the problem and rename the second drive to d:?

If that is the case, I can live with that and, over time, move the stuff from the old drive (now presumably called d: ) to the new one. I also guess that in an emergency, I can remove the new drive and move the old one back to the first position on the ide cable and be able to boot with that one?

I realize that the way I should be proceeding is probably to create an Acronis image (or some other backup) of the old drive onto my external USB drive. That way, even if I remove the old drive I will be able to have access to everything that was on it via the image on the USB drive.

Thanks,

Doug

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!