1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Graphics Card - Monitor won't detect it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Remedy, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Remedy

Remedy Thread Starter

First, my specs:

2.3ghz Intel Celeron
    2 gigs of RAM
    250gb HDD
    GFXCard trying to install: Geforce FX 5200

Alright, so this is a simple question, shouldn't be difficult to answer!
    I've read that sometimes you don't have to disable the Onboard Graphics in the BIOS when putting in the gfxcard. So, I stuck it in without disabling in hopes that I didn't have to. Well, the monitor won't turn on, so I just have to pull it back out of the processor. The weird thing is, it won't even turn on if I have the monitor plugged into the onboard gfx slot. It won't until I completely remove the GForce FX. So, I went into the BIOS and saw that the Primary is selected as PCI and not Onboard, even though I use chipset. Could that be why the monitor is getting confused?

But here's my main question, before I get started in all this: if I choose the Primary Video in BIOS as PCI-E, would I still be able to see the monitor once it turns back on? In other words, would I be able to change the bios back if the gfxcard don't work? Will the onboard video work regardless of what's chosen in the BIOS menu?

Would appreciate ANY help! Thanks in advance! :D

EDIT: oh, and hey :p does the GeForce FX 5200 support 1440x900 resolution? Could that be the problem it's not detecting it? :confused:

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following it custom or home built, Mother Board, Processor, Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

3. Remedy

Remedy Thread Starter

How exactly am I supposed to find all that out? Sorry this has taken me so long to reply, but I haven't tried to install it back since I couldn't get it working; I pretty much gave up. Now I'm desperate since most games need Shader Model 2.0 :(:(

So would someone please respond?? PLEASE!!!!!!

4. Remedy

Remedy Thread Starter

Did I mention how incredibly DESPERATE I am? :(!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/846671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice