Installing Graphics Cards

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cardboard Box

Hi Guys

I want to install a new graphics card sometime and want to do it myself. How exactly do you install a graphics card? Is it like upgrading RAM?

thanks

Thing is, that guy never mentions the possible(very possible) need for a new power suppy when upgrading you graphics card...

Well if you feel the need to upgrade the power supply I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Never hurts to have sufficient power for a system. Jazz

Yeah, it's no biggie, but just good to know. And that was kinda "noob-guide", so it wouldn't have hurted for that dude to mention about power supplies... Few know that without telling if they don't know how to install a graphics card... Quite good video.

Cardboard Box

Hi

Er, how do I check my power supply? How does the power supply affect performance? I want to upgrade my 128mgs ATI x300 graphics card to a 512mb one higher than ATI x1000. Thanks(y)

For example you can open your computer case, take a picture of a sticker on the side of it(the power supply!!!!), (should have markings 12V, 5V, 3.3V, TOTAL OUTPUT, etc etc) and post the picture here. Optionally just write 'em down. Mostly the brand and model of it, plus the 12 Volt Amperage.
Is your current GFX(graphics card) AGP or PCI-E? I'd assume AGP, being that old.

Cardboard Box

Hi

Do you check whether its PCI or AGP by looking on the side of the graphics card? Whats the difference?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online