1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing internal 1 TB HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rocker2462, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rocker2462

rocker2462 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2045 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 32239 MB, Free - 26905 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 02X378
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled I have a Dell Optiplex GX 260 mini tower and two years ago I added an internal 1 tb hard drive. I had to use a SATA PCI adapter card as the computer was not set up for SATA. I only use this drive for storage of media files like music, movies, videos and pictures and it was recognized in my computer as new drive G:,the computer boots from the stock 40 gb C drive. I did not format/partition the drive when I initially installed it. I recently wiped my C drive and did a clean install of XP, pulled the SATA card out and reseated it so when I reboot the found new hardware wizard will pop up. But this is where the problem starts, the computer is freezing on the windows is starting up page. Just for the hell of it I opened the computer and disconnected the cable going to the SATA card and rebooted and it booted up to my new clean install of XP perfectly. I don't know why this is happening. I have the instructions for the SATA card and I did as instructed, cut power, disconnect power cord, ground yourself, install SATA PCI card into PCI slot, attach devices with SATA cables and close up computer. I have the driver install CD but how can I install the drivers when it keeps freezing on the windows is starting up page? Am I missing something or doing something wrong? This is not hard to do, I did it 2 years ago and had no problems like this. Any assistance from a tech would be a big help.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you install the chipset/mb drivers for your mb before attempting to install the sata card?

BTW you can slipstream the drivers into a custom install disk so setup will recognize any drive connected to the controller card.

3. rocker2462

Yes I did, chipset first, audio, video and NIC in that order. I don't think I know how to slipstream, could you explain what that entails.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have already installed them, then there is no need for the slipstreaming the driver. From rereading your post, it would seem that the problem is with the drive and not the card.
    If the card is still installed, the drive loads, etc so I doubt it is a problem with the card itself.

With the sata drive disconnected, are there any yellow marks in device manager? If there are, post a screenshot of device manager.

5. rocker2462

yellow explanation on drive

6. rocker2462

Disconnected SATA drive and no yellow marks in device manager.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not posted a screenshot of device manager.

8. rocker2462

Screenshot of device manager attached.

Attached Files:

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Looks to me like your card is correctly installed and the problem is with the drive itself OR cable/connector.

10. rocker2462

Any suggestions? I do have another Dell mini-tower Dimension 4550, could I install the SATA card in that and hook up the drive and check it that way?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sure you can try it.

12. rocker2462

Did the same thing it did on the optiplex, not a good sign. This drive isn't even 2 yo, got it from newegg for about $60, less than 2 years ago. Now I need to find out if the data on it is recoverable and if it is, how do I transfer it to a new HD. Any idea's on how I can do that?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the drive is not recognized by the os or the os will not boot with the drive connected, your only real option is to take it to a data recovery shop. Get an estimate first since this is NOT cheap. Where I live a basic data recovery using software [which it seems you cannot do] runs $125 and goes way up from there.

This is why we stress backups so much. With an image backup of the drive, it is a very simple matter to install a new drive and restore the image. Done.

14. rocker2462

Could I get your opinion on Spotmau.com and if you think that might work for the problem I'm having.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I took a look at the site. That looks like data recovery software which is useless to you since the system will not boot with the drive connected. If you can send them the drive and they open it and read the platters, they might be able to help you. As I posted this is very expensive so get an estimate; expect to pay a minimum of $500~1000 for this service.

Here is where I send drives that cannot be accessed; again make sure you get an estimate.
    http://www.dataretrieval.com/nevada...efid=4728498&gclid=COjDpqnIrqwCFeoZQgodMglmGw

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice