1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing legal copy of XP over illegal copy?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by docusk, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. docusk

docusk Thread Starter

My friend found his machine was running an illegal copy of Win XP when trying to update.
    He has now bought a legal copy with hologram, CAO and serial. Does he have to remove the old version first and will it interfere with his existing applications, he has a big interest in Family History and has all of his files on his hard disk.

docusk

2. FREDOO

FREDOO

Installing the new version willautomaticly delete the old operating system

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can do an update of the old installation and you'll end up with the new key, and a legal installation.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Actually if he has all of this important data on his hard drive he really should backup just the data first. This will assure that the data is safe and sound. Then he can do a repair-install of Windows which should fix his illegal problem

The backup and recovery solution that awards 100% reliability and superior performance at a click of a button.

http://www.backupanswers.com/freewinbackup/

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

5. docusk

docusk Thread Starter

Yes, he has Norton Ghost (Legal) and did a backup on Friday he says.
    I take the point about amateurs and professionals but I am a pro. Just not used to repairing illegals, all our customers have legal stuff, this guy is a friend and of course, the reason I'm asking this question is to get at the experts.
    (Started out in 1980 on PC s with Sirius/Victors running DOS 1.25 and no, I don't have a long white beard!)
    Cheers chaps.

Docusk

:D

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Gee I started out in 1978 with an Osbourne 01. I never consider myself a Pro but just try to help as much as I can. I am sorry if you took the word illegal the wrong way but the first post did say that word.

I do not wish to offend any more so I will stay out of the way on this one.

Have a good day

7. docusk

docusk Thread Starter

For OZROM1E.
    No. No apology needed at all. The copy WAS illegal, he bought the computer from a friend. Only when M$ started the validation for updates did he find out. He was expecting the thought police on his doorstep with the Dobermanns and handcuffs!!!
    No, my crack was in response to the well known saying, If you think experts are expensive, wait....
    One of the good things about this forum is the banter that comes up from time to time, I enjoy that.
    Blimey though, I'd forgotten the Osbourne for a minute. They had a 'portable' which we termed a "Luggable" as it weighed in at about 25 kilos (well it felt like that when you took it up to the office)
    When I did my Bcs course in 1980, I was allocated a whole 100 Kb of space on the uni's PDP 11/44. Riches beyond belief at the time.
    I found the link to the instructions on 'How to..' very useful. He has a copy now.

Those were the days os.

docusk

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice