1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Linux and XP on same computer

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by nfinit1, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nfinit1

nfinit1 Thread Starter

Hello All
    I want to install XP and Linux on the same machine
    I have read some of the post on the site about having swap files for this
    Because I want to know why...I have questions...I need "for dummies" with this one :)

WHy is swap file necessary for a machine with both Linux and Windows XP????

What operating system should I install first??? WHy???
    Can you point me to a website that will give me step by step instruction???

How will system commander or partition magic help me with this???

Thanks

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Install windows first. Windows does not play fair with other OSes. Then, install linux. I dont quite get your comment about swap.... linux uses swap partitions (though, it can use swap files, it just likes partitions better). Windows uses swap files, which arent user managable anyhow (I mean, they are through VM, but you dont get much control)

3. winningham.2

winningham.2

I have installed both XP and Suse on my IBM A31p Notebook with ZERO problems. Here is how I did it:

1. XP having already been installed, needs to have the disk cleanup and defrag ran to clean up the "trash" and stick the files to the front of the HDD. This is a VERY important step. Restart with SUSE 9 CD or DVD in drive.

2. Installation instructions with give you a chance to install SUSE beside XP (FAT or NTFS). It will adjust existing partitions (including the hidden recovery partition, if you have one so be careful), and useually split the difference by default.

3. You may want to lower the linux partition and give yourself about 3-4 times the amount of RAM you have for a Linux Swap file. Think of this as adding more memory for your computer though it is actually HDD space. This is a watered down answer but it pays off. The example is say I have 512MB of RAM, then I create a 1.5GB Swap partition.

4. Once you get the partitioning correct, and by following the defaults you'll be pretty safe, it's smooth sailing from there. Honestly, this is about as simple as it gets, as I was able to pull it off without ever having installed Linux before. (Of course I had printed instructions basically outlining the above).

Enjoy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice