1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing linux on 2nd drive?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by bencpht, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bencpht

bencpht Thread Starter

I've tried 3 ways and cannot get this to work. I have winxp pro on my first hd, and I want redhat 8.0 on my second hd. When I install GRUB in the MBR, I get error 28 saying selected item cannot fit into memory (1024 limit?) When I install GRUB on 1st partition of 2nd drive, GRUB does not show after POST. I have to use a floppy to boot to linux. I tried LILO both ways, and the system hung after POST both ways. Does anyone know how to do this, or if it's even possible?

2. lynch

lynch

It is possible.Grub or Lilo should work in the MBR because it I did it with w2k and Mandrake,although it was on the same hdd.It may be that your bios is checking the boot record for a virus.You might want to check that first.
    I also found this on Google.It may help.
    :)
    lynch

3. pvc9

pvc9

Been a while since I posted about MBR :rolleyes: :D . What do you say lynch? ;)

Try this -

Boot through the Redhat CD, select the Rescue mode, once at the shell type -

grub-install /dev/hda [enter]

If that wont work, boot through the floppy, login as 'root' at the shell type the same command. Reboot, see if that helps.

Check this - Installing GRUB using grub-install

Just FYI, I've Win 98, XP and RH Linux 7.2. Linux is installed on the 2nd HDD. I've the Grub and also MS Bootloader for Win 98 and XP. So they certainly work.

4. linuxmav

linuxmav

I actually am running hat 8 and xp pro on one of my boxes, it should auto bual boot when u install hat, did u format the 2nd hard drive when you went throught the hat install, it gives u an option during the install to format and use grub and set dos (xp) or hat as default boot; i..e meaning when it boots it asks which one you want to use then after a period of time if none is selected it boots in ur default.

5. lynch

lynch

Try pvc9's suggestion.;)
    lynch

6. pvc9

pvc9

:rolleyes:

:D ;) :D

7. lynch

lynch

Boot to Linux using the floppy, and if you can, post your grub menu.lst or etc/lilo.conf file.
    Maybe we can straighten things out.

Hey,pvc9.:) Have'nt seen you around here in a while.:D
    lynch

8. pvc9

pvc9

Yep, I've been busy last few weeks and I guess it will be the same for few more weeks(may be till April) :( , I'm not posting at other foums too :(

Hope you're fine and having a good time :)

9. lynch

lynch

I see.:) At least you're keeping busy:D
    I'm fine.Thanks.
    lynch

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice