Installing Linux Packages Offline

Lordpiggywig

I recently acquired a HP stream 11 with Ubuntu 18.04 pre-Installed and came across the "No wifi adapter found" problem associated between that and Broadcom wifi which apparently is a very common issue, and have researched to find i need to run the following terminal command to correct the issue:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source

however this requires an ethernet connection which is not possible as the laptop has no ethernet port or wifi connection (duh) so I was wondering if it would be possible to do download the packages needed using my current personal laptop (Running windows 10 if that makes a difference) and simply transfer the package across on a usb drive to the HP Stream and make sure they are saved in the right place to get it working.

I have very little experience with linux or computers so the simpler the explanation the better please!

TerryNet

Terry
I do not know. Just wanted to mention another possible workaround--a USB wireless adapter (that works with Ubuntu) could be used temporarily. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions on a particular adapter, as I have not bought or used one for a number of years.

however this requires an ethernet connection which is not possible as the laptop has no ethernet port or wifi connection
the simpler the explanation the better please!
I'm afraid what you expect is going to be very hard.

Your first step is to learn adapter chip, then see if there is driver available:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers

Once you figure that out you'll have to download latest drivers and compile the one you need, which means a lot of pain if you never compiled something:
https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/backports/stable/v5.7.5/

Your best bet is to first test whether your adapter works at all.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try this :-
  1. Download this and copy it onto a Usb stick :-http://www.lwfinger.com/b43-firmware/broadcom-wl-6.30.163.46.tar.bz2
  2. Do the same with this :- http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/b/b43-fwcutter/b43-fwcutter_019-2_amd64.deb
  3. Remove the Usb stick then connect it to the Ubuntu computer and switch it on.
  4. Open Files (3rd icon down on the left) and navigate to the Usb stick.
  5. Right-click the .bz2 file then click on Open With Archive Manager and extract the file to the Home folder.
  6. Right-click on the .deb file then click on Open With Software Install and follow the directions to install.
  7. Open a Terminal window (Ctrl+Alt+T) and Paste each line below into it then press Enter
  8. sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-*.o
  9. sync
  10. sudo modprobe -r b43
  11. sudo modprobe b43
  12. You should get a message saying that wireless is available now, if so click on the down arrow at top right of the screen then click on Wi-Fi Not Connected then on Select Network, click on your network then on Connect, enter your WiFi password and after a few seconds your Network will be up and running.
  13. Click on the 9 dots icon on the bottom left and then double-click on Software and Updates icon
  14. Put a tick in the line ending (multiverse) then click Close, if you get another window click on it's Reload button and let it do it's thing
  15. Paste the line below into the Terminal and press Enter
  16. sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
  17. press Enter to continue with the install
  18. Done
It should connect to the wireless automatically now, try a restart to test that.

Lordpiggywig

T
Try this :-
  1. Download this and copy it onto a Usb stick :-http://www.lwfinger.com/b43-firmware/broadcom-wl-6.30.163.46.tar.bz2
  2. Do the same with this :- http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/b/b43-fwcutter/b43-fwcutter_019-2_amd64.deb
  3. Remove the Usb stick then connect it to the Ubuntu computer and switch it on.
  4. Open Files (3rd icon down on the left) and navigate to the Usb stick.
  5. Right-click the .bz2 file then click on Open With Archive Manager and extract the file to the Home folder.
  6. Right-click on the .deb file then click on Open With Software Install and follow the directions to install.
  7. Open a Terminal window (Ctrl+Alt+T) and Paste each line below into it then press Enter
  8. sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-*.o
  9. sync
  10. sudo modprobe -r b43
  11. sudo modprobe b43
  12. You should get a message saying that wireless is available now, if so click on the down arrow at top right of the screen then click on Wi-Fi Not Connected then on Select Network, click on your network then on Connect, enter your WiFi password and after a few seconds your Network will be up and running.
  13. Click on the 9 dots icon on the bottom left and then double-click on Software and Updates icon
  14. Put a tick in the line ending (multiverse) then click Close, if you get another window click on it's Reload button and let it do it's thing
  15. Paste the line below into the Terminal and press Enter
  16. sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
  17. press Enter to continue with the install
  18. Done
It should connect to the wireless automatically now, try a restart to test that.
Hi first of all thank you for taking the time to reply so clearly really makes a change, I have done everything up to step 11 ran all the terminal code as instructed and it didn't reject any of them however the message saying wireless is available did not appear unfortunately. I have searched through settings to see if anything had changed but seems to have the same issue as before so am unsure as to how to proceed.

Any follow up would be much appreciated, and/or alternative suggestions, (I've been told to look into ubuntu compatible plug in adaptors?)

TerryNet

Terry
(I've been told to look into ubuntu compatible plug in adaptors?)
Yes, that's one way to networking even if only temporarily until you get the driver you want/need installed. I mentioned a USB wireless adapter. Another, more sure to work, suggestion is a USB ethernet adapter (example). That's nearly guaranteed to work without any issues.

Miqw7394

Mike
@ Lordpiggywig:-

One USB wireless adapter that's guaranteed to work would be this one:-

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-wire...r&qid=1594682173&s=computers-intl-ship&sr=1-1

These are as cheap as chips, are available from many different retailers, and have been supported ever since the k3.13 kernel, back in late 2014. Literally pNp, they're so small you can leave them permanently plugged-in.....and this one is a strong performer, even with a mediocre signal.

Highly recommended.....from personal experience. Even if you only use it temporarily, it's a useful thing to have in your "tool-kit". Myself, I'd recommend leaving it plugged-in and use it full-time, unless of course you have other uses for your USB ports.....

It will be immediately recognised, as soon as you plug it in.

Mike. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online