1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing maxtor 80 gigs hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nerdandfreak, Sep 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nerdandfreak

nerdandfreak Thread Starter

hi, i just sucessfully installed my maxtor 80 gigs as my primary slave, and now, i want to change it to primary master(boot master). but im not sure if i should do that coz i dont wanna mess up my pc. is there gonna be a difference?? will my computer loads faster for gaming and video?? what will happen to all my programs in my old hard drive? will they work properly?? should i change it???? just pm me, cool? thankz

2. active95

active95

Nerdandfreak.. if you want to make the new hard drive master , then you will need to install operating system . Once you got the OS up and running and using windows XP ., use the file transfer wizzard which should take most of your programs and files from the old hard drive to the new one.
    And if you want to make it master , will need to use the "jumper " to make it master ( look in the instructions which came with the hdd how to make it master < if you bought the hdd in a retail box , otherwise go to www.maxtor.com and under the support will get info about it >
    The advantage of the new hard drive would be "faster loading times, " better transfer rate and more reliable ( sorta..)

3. akita

akita

if you are installing xp to new drive, use ntfs file system instead of fat32? much more stable and reliable...

4. raybro

raybro

If all you want to do is switch drives without going through all the OS onstall stuff, just use maxtors tools that came with the drive to do a disk to disk copy. Then switch the jumper config to make the new drive master and you will be up and running on the new drive.

If you don't have the Maxtor MaxBlast3 utility, you can download it here:

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast3.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/162258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice