1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing memory sticks

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by titleman, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. titleman

titleman Thread Starter

I have 2 1024MB sticks that I wish to install.

Here's some info on my system:

Free space 118 GB
    Used space 25.7 GB
    Dell Dimension DV051 E310
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80 GHz
    2.79 GHz 504 MB RAM

Running XP SP3

The instruction tell me to select a empty memory socket. Don't I have to remove the sticks that I'm replacing first?

2. LoneWolf_53

LoneWolf_53

Ground your hands to the metal case then push on the locking tabs at either end of your existing RAM and move them outwards away from the RAM.

Pull out the existing sticks then make sure you align the notch in your new memory with the proper place in the socket.

Now firmly and evenly push the memory stick down and if you push far enough the locking tabs will come up and lock again.

Don't touch the contact part of your memory with your hands.

3. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

It depends...

Are you trying to run a dual DDR configuration? Are your old sticks damaged?

If your old sticks are compatible with the new ones then you can use all of them. However, doing that will not allow you to use dual DDR.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    titleman:

The Dell Dimension E310 supports dual-channel memory and supports up to 2048 MB of memory, so installing 2 matching 1024 MB modules is the way to go. (y)

Remove the 2 - 256 MB modules from their slots and replace them with the 2 - 1024 MB modules that you have. Since there's only 2 slots, you have to replace the 256 MB modules with the 2 - 1024 MB modules.

If there were 4 slots, you wouldn't be able to insert anything larger than a 512 MB module in each slot because of the maximum supported amount of 2048 MB. The MB's in each slot times the number of slots can't equal more than the maximum supported amount.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow LoneWolf's instructions on how to remove and insert the modules.

Save the old modules in the plastic anti-static bags and then tape the ends and mark the bags with what's in them. Old modules come in real handy when working on or upgrading older desktops.

------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!