1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing my Brother printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rattenhoofd, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rattenhoofd

Rattenhoofd Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I bought a new laptop (Compaq Presario C700, nothing special), which brought me my first (sometimes frustrating) experiences with Windows Vista. I now want to use a printer my uncle gave me; a Brother HL - 1030 Laser Printer.

Now my problem: I can't install proper driver software.
    I have the software, but it won't install. It says that NT 4.0 drivers are blocked by an enabled policy on my computer. I've found something on that on this forum (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/766895-solved-nt-4-0-driver.html) but when I enter a port name, it says: 'the network path was not found.'

I've also searched on the Brother site for help, but they don't have any driver support for Windows Vista and the only service program available for download is to uninstall driver software :mad:

I'm a little nooby, but I put in effort to try and solve this.
    Please help me do this and get a nice drawing I made as a reward :D

Greets,

Guus Evers, Breda, Holland.

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Have you Googled [brotherhi1030printerdriver]

3. tcjason

tcjason

Brother do not do a driver for the 1030 mono laser for Vista, that much is correct. However there is a note on the brother website that says

"For HL-1030 and HL-1230 Users:
    Please use the "Brother HL-1430" driver and install using the "Add a printer" wizard"

So if you use the 1430 driver, which should already be listed in the add printer wizzard on Vista (if it's not then you can download it from the Brother website) then you should be able to get it working :)

4. Rattenhoofd

Thank you very much, it worked!

The printer is still not printing, due to a 'processor runtime error' , but one step at a time.

Thanks for the response!

5. tcjason

tcjason

Does that runtime error come up when just doing a simple test page or does it come when printing from an application such as Microsoft Word?

6. Rattenhoofd

Neither. All the four lights on the front of the printer are blinking. I looked it up on the Brother site and it said this means I have some kind of runtime error :confused:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/778120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice