1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing New 20gb Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marcie, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcie

Marcie Thread Starter

My sons Gateway Computer's 15gb drive always bootup with a message that there is a problem with the hard drive, I have formatted and reinstalled Win98 and ran a diagnostic on it from Western Digital, and there was a Smartdrive error...Well I thought it was fixed, I resetup the windows operating system and all the drivers that were needed, and it worked fine, for awhile. Now it is back to where it was before with the same message at bootup.
    I am considering putting a new drive in it..is there a way to transfer the files from the old drive to the new drive? I hate to have to start all over again setting up this system .

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Yes, most if not all HDs come with a prog on a floppy that will let you do it (with instructions). If a new one doesn't, just go to manufacturer's website and DL one.

It's a little fiddley, but easy.

John

3. kramnnim

kramnnim

Yeah, the new drive probably will come with some sort of software that will copy the data over. The software that came with my Maxtor worked great...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice