Installing new 2nd Hard Drive plus drive letters questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Goldfinger

Hi

I'm about to install a 2nd hard drive into my computer. Both the old and new HDs are SATA drives. Gonna use XP Home on new HD (its already on old HD). Physically installing the new HD should be easy. Its the set-up afterwards that I have questions for you experts. :)

I'm not gonna have several partitions. Just gonna have 1 big one like old HD.

My goal is to hopefully have the new HD be my main HD (since its bigger) with drive letter C:\ and my old HD being the back-up with some other letter.

I will change the bios boot order so it looks for the CD 1st since this is where I'll be installing windows from. I dont have a floppy. I have a reinstallation CD plus many other CDs with drivers and so forth so hopefully that wont be a problem. I printed out the order of installing the OS, drivers, service packs, etc from another thread at this great site so hopefully that wont be a problem either. Its before getting to that point that I have questions.

Questions:
1. I should disconnect the original HD connecter and just leave the new one hooked up when 1st booting correct?
2. Whats gonna happen with the driver letters? I think the new HD is gonna get assigned the normal C:\ drive letter since the old HD that had that drive letter wont be hooked up. That would mean both end up with C:\ (when old one is hooked up again). I'm sure you cant have two HDs in same system with same drive letter so that wont work right?
I know how to change drive letters in XP BTW.
3. If I change the drive letter from C on old HD, wont that cause lots of problems? I would think shortcuts that pointed to "C:\ whatever" wouldnt work. What else if anything wouldnt work?
4. Should I keep old HD the C drive and just give new HD a new letter to make things easier? I'd rather not unless doing it the other way will cause nightmares.

Adding a 2nd HD must be done every day so this cant be too tough. Am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks in advance,
Goldfinger.

Hi,

1. you are correct.
2. yes the new one will be the c:/ drive. the old one when hooked up will be automaticly change to a different letter e.g E:/
3. if the old hd has a windows installation on it you should be able to boot between the two hds. if you were to boot into your new hd the shortcuts on the old one will not work. if you were to boot into the original hd the letter would be changed back to C:/ ; therefor the shortcuts will work.
4. the first idea would be a bit easier (my opinion) but you could install the new hd before anything is put on it and it would be set a drive letter. when you go to install windows you will be able to select a disk (e.g your new one) to install to. and if the drive letters are confusing it should list the size of each disk so you would install to the bigger hd.

I hope this helps.

-Thomas :eek:

Goldfinger

Thanks Froggy710 for quick response. That means a lot.

I never ever thought that whatever HD I booted 1st would get the C drive letter. It makes sense....I would think Windows having to keep changing drive letters depending on what boots 1st could cause problems if it didnt change all the letters by mistake for instance even one time. I've had an icon here or there change for no apparent reason occasionally so it seems possible.

I guess "Disk" means HD?

To be clear, I will be able to go into either HD to move files from one HD to another or whatever I need to share between the two HDs by using "My Computer" or something similar WITHOUT having to keep restarting and booting into a different HD? In other words it will act like an external drive where all drives are seen at same time?

I dont understand your answer to question 4. Please be more specific for the computer challenged like myself. :) I understand new HD will be giving a drive letter. Are you saying to have BOTH HDs plugged in when 1st installing windows? Your answer to question 1 was ONLY have new HD plugged in. I'm missing something.

Goldfinger

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online