installing new 3Gb second HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

freeone2359

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3063 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 99898 MB, Free - 39063 MB; D: Total - 199999 MB, Free - 134688 MB; E: Total - 199999 MB, Free - 123567 MB; F: Total - 215401 MB, Free - 51164 MB; G: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 233406 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P7P55D PRO
Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2012, Updated and Enabled

Is it possible to fit a 3TB SATA III hard drive as a second hard drive into a system which has a 1 TB SATA II hard drive as the first drive without losing the SATA III speed or performance? I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit with an Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz 4 core processor.

I have been told it is possible to use an add on card for the motherboard which will allow this configuration, but I do not know if this is true or if it is, where to purchase such an animal.

The specs of the motherboard are as follows

ASUSTeK Computer INC.

Model P7P55D PRO (LGA1156)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model DMI Host Bridge
Chipset Revision 11
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model P55
Southbridge Revision 05

The board has SATA III on it, so the drive will natively work as a SATA III device, shouldn't make any issue, you have 6 sata ports, why add a further one, just to put a drive in! Just make sure you actually use a SATA III cable, because that is sometimes an issue, some think they are all backward compatible, but it seems that sometimes they are not, so as long as the 3TB drive has a SATA III cable on it, it will work as a SATA III, but the speed of SATA is only theoretical, no mechanical drive will give 6gbps

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online